San Diego County CA— Bike to Work Day is a nationally recognized event celebrated annually on the third Friday in May. Since May is National Bike Month, San Diegans have opportunities to GO by BIKE all month long. Bike Month 2016 supports biking as a viable, environmentally friendly, cost-saving commute choice. With thousands of miles of bikeways in the San Diego region, biking gets you where you need to go. Make biking to work your new normal.
Join thousands of commuters throughout the San Diego region as we GO by BIKE on the morning of Friday, May 20. When you register for Bike to Work Day, you can pick up a free t-shirt* at one of 100 pit stops throughout San Diego County from 6 to 9 a.m. Register now for Bike to Work Day!
*Participants must show proof of registration to be eligible for a free t-shirt. Registration does not guarantee receipt of a t-shirt or availability of a preferred size.
If you register AND log your Bike to Work Day trip by May 20 using the iCommute TripTracker tool, you’ll be entered to win a $450 gift card giveaway! For more information, view the Sweepstakes Official Rules.
Bike to Work Day pit stop map now available. A total of 101 pit stops are planned, which will be open from 6 to 9 a.m. on Friday, May 20, 2016 for anyone who registers. Pit stops offer fun breaks for new and experienced bike riders to rest and pick up a FREE t-shirt, snacks, and encouragement. For a list of the Bike to Work 2016 pit stop locations, check out the pit stop map.
Pit Stops in Oceanside:
- City of Oceanside– San Luis Rey Recreational Trail at College Ave
- City of Oceanside– City Hall Plaza
- City of Oceanside and Performance Bike– Sprinter Station at Oceanside Blvd and Rancho del Oro
Pit Stops in Carlsbad:
The first 35 visitors to each of the seven Carlsbad pit stops will receive a $5 coupon, good for the month of May, for the restaurants at the ‘Island at Carlsbad’ food court, located on the corner of Van Allen Way and Faraday.
Also on May 20, cyclists are invited to enjoy a Bike to Work celebration featuring the music of San Diego performers Cassie B Project from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Island at Carlsbad food court, located, 5814 Van Allen Way. The Cassie B project, one of San Diego’s most popular bands, is known for its danceable music and covers of Michael Jackson and Bruno Mars songs.
- The seawall at Frazee Beach, Carlsbad Boulevard and Pine Avenue
- The Zone 5 -Park along Faraday Avenue
- 24 Hour Fitness, Palomar Airport Road at College Boulevard
- Velofix, Palomar Airport Road and Carlsbad Boulevard
- ViaSat, 6155 El Camino Real
- Swami’s Cycling Club, Carlsbad Boulevard southbound at Ponto Beach
- Lululemon Athletica, 1923 Calle Barcelona
Pit Stop in Encinitas:
- thinkPARALLAX– 555 2nd Street, East side of 2nd street in the heart of downtown Encinitas
- El Camino Bike Shop– 121 North El Camino real, Encinitas
Pit Stop in Solana Beach:
- Revolution Bike Shop and City of Solana Beach– They will be doing bike repairs and have everything a biker will need for the bike and the rider. This pit stop will be open from 6 a.m. – 5:30 p.m
Pit Stop in Del Mar:
- Premier Food Services at the Del Mar Fairgrounds– 2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd, In front of the main grandstand at the Del Mar Fairgrounds
Pit Stop in Vista:
- Vista Chamber of Commerce with GO by Bike 127 Main Street, 92084. Our pit stop will be open from 6 a.m. to 12 p.m.We will have extra goodies to give our bikers from our local membership! Representatives of the SANDAG GO by BIKE program will be available to discuss bike projects in the area.
- Watkins Manufacturing Corporation– 1280 Park Center Drive, Lower parking lot on left side of the building. They will be providing a free gift to those riders who stop by.
- Stone Brewing Co. and Palomar Health-Medical Center– 1999 Citracado Pkwy, Escondido, CA 92029
- BIKE VAULT Bike Shop– 316 West Mission Avenue, Suite 123. This pit stop will be open from 6 a.m. – 6 p.m
- Palomar Health – 2185 Citracado Parkway, 92029. Palomar Medical Center pit stop will be near the circle entrance to the front of the hospital. At Palomar Medical Center our Emergency Department will be providing bike helmets and safety information.
Pit stops of interest:
- As part of its pit stop, the Coast Guard Sector at 2710 North Harbor Drive will have a helicopter and boat on display.
- Clairemont Times will partner with Zico Coconut Water and Energy 103.7 FM at the Rose Creek Bike Path and Santa Fe Street.
- UC San Diego is expected to host the largest pit stop at Warren Athletic Field at Gilman and Voigt Drive, with free bike parking and vendor tents.
- The San Diego Zoo will host its always popular pit stop at 2920 Zoo Drive, with animal interactions, costumed characters, and complimentary chair massages.
Get social. We’re hosting a Facebook promotion to vote for your favorite Bike to Work Day commuter, commuter group, and pit stop. To participate, share a Bike to Work Day photo on Friday, May 20 on our @iCommuteSD Facebook page. Use #BTWDcommuter, #BTWDcommutergroup, or #BTWDpitstop to let us know which category you would like to enter. iCommute will post an album with all entries on our Facebook page on Monday, May 23. The photo with the most likes and loves in each category by Friday, May 27 will win a prize package! Get creative – decorate your bike, coordinate a theme with coworkers, or create a photo collage. For more details, view the Official Rules of the promotion.
Bike to Work Day weather and safety. In the interest of participant safety, the SANDAG iCommute program reserves the right to postpone, reschedule, or cancel Bike to Work Day due to dangerous or inclement weather conditions, which may include but are not limited to: earthquake, fire, lightning, hail, heavy rain, or natural disaster. In the event of dangerous or inclement weather conditions on May 20, 2016, Bike to Work Day may be postponed to the following Friday, May 27. The SANDAG iCommute program will make every attempt to announce a postponement at least 48 hours in advance. All registered participants will be notified via email regarding any event postponement or cancellation. Potential Bike to Work Day participants are strongly encouraged to register online prior to the event to ensure receipt of important event announcements.
2016 GO by BIKE Mini-Grant program. In support of National Bike Month in May, the SANDAG iCommute program offered grants of up to $3,000 for programs that educate, promote, and encourage biking as a viable transportation choice. Ten organizations were selected to receive funding in 2016. Funded mini-grant activities will take place between April 1 and June 15, 2016. You can view the list of 2016 GO by BIKE Mini-Grant program recipients or visit the events calendar to find an event in your area. All events are open to the public, and attendance is highly encouraged!
Bike to Work classes and events. Employers – get your employees ready for Bike to Work Day by taking advantage of FREE bike services offered by iCommute. Register for a free, on-site bike education class to get employees comfortable with riding. Participating employees can even receive free mobile bike tune-ups. Registration is now open, and classes are on a first-come, first-served basis.
Free rides from NCTD. Do you only want to bike for part of your commute, or catch a ride home in the afternoon? NCTD will offer free rides for Bike to Work Day participants with bikes on the COASTER, SPRINTER, and BREEZE on Friday, May 20. Bike storage space is limited, and is first-come, first-served. Amtrak trains excluded. Learn more about taking bikes on transit.
GO by BIKE all year long. The fun isn’t just on Bike to Work Day! With more than 1,340 miles of bikeways in the San Diego region, you can get almost anywhere by riding a bike. Check out plans for new bikeways at GObyBIKEsd.com. iCommute can help you get started with riding tips, information about taking your bike on transit, bike safety tips, and more. Chart your course using our San Diego Regional Bike Map.
For additional information, call 511 and say “iCommute” or email firstname.lastname@example.org.