Oceanside CA— For the second year in a row, MiraCosta College is proud to announce it has been designated a “Military Friendly Institution” by Victory Media, a veteran-owned company that publishes GI Jobs magazine and other publications related to veterans and their transition into civilian careers. MiraCosta is recognized by the company for consistently being on the front lines of serving those who have served.
“All of our Military Friendly® award recipients set the standard for excellence,” said Daniel Nichols, Chief Product Officer of Victory Media and head of Military Friendly® development. “They offer exceptional examples of what it means not just to build a program that meets federal requirements, but one that serves the military and veteran community from classrooms to careers.”
With over 3,000 active-duty military, military dependents and military veterans enrolled at its campuses, MiraCosta has been expanding its already expansive outreach efforts to current and former members of our armed forces. And while many community colleges focus on building the vocational skills of returning servicemen and servicewomen, MiraCosta College is also helping veterans transfer to four-year colleges and universities.
Marine Corps Rachel Davis came to MiraCosta during a time when there were many transitions going on in her life. At MiraCosta she gained camaraderie and a connection to people who cared about her and wanted to see her succeed. After a lot of hard work and determination, she graduated in May, 2017, and is now attending University of California, Berkeley.
“MiraCosta College has a long history supporting our military affiliated students and the Military Friendly designation reinforces this” explains Liz Draper, coordinator of Veterans Services at MiraCosta College. “Veterans Services has created a culture of camaraderie for our students to take a break from day-to-day challenges by housing a center that directly accommodates their needs. We will continue to be advocates for our students as they work towards their educational goals.”
MiraCosta College has been designated a Military Friendly School by Victory Media for supporting students, like Rachel Davis, in many ways including:
- MiraCosta College, with the help of a $250,000 grant from the U.S. Small Business Administration, has created Southern California’s only Veterans Business Outreach Center to support service members from San Diego to Santa Barbara who are leaving the military and embarking on self-employment or entrepreneurship. The Veterans Business Outreach Center is based at the college’s Technology Career Institute in Carlsbad and showcases workshops that provide entrepreneurial training and counseling and assists clients in developing five-year business plans.
- MiraCosta College’s enhanced relationship with the Department of Veterans Affairs, by way of the VetSuccess on Campus (VSOC) program. Selected by the Veterans Benefits Administration, a VetSuccess counselor is onsite at MiraCosta College’s Oceanside campus to provide benefits assistance and education to veterans attending MiraCosta College. VetSuccess on Campus provides additional support and resources to the increased number of veterans accessing benefits to attend school and to assist in facilitating their educational success.
- MiraCosta College operates a renowned High Threat Specialist Program, which was launched in 2012 as a not-for-credit course targeting Marines returning home from Iraq and Afghanistan who are interested in pursuing a career as a certified armed guard or high threat protection specialist. Over the years, MiraCosta College added a certified Anti-Terrorist/Corporate Protection component to their security program, along with a Celebrity Corporate Protection course and a High Threat Protection course, and a High-Risk Medic class.
- MiraCosta College provides assistance to over 3,000 veterans and dependents wishing to use their educational benefits at MiraCosta College. The Veterans Information Center provides a place for students to find resources on VA educational benefits, MiraCosta Student Services, and community organizations that are dedicated to assisting veterans. The center also provides a place for students to relax, study, and meet with friends.
- The Annual Veterans Day College Hour allows veterans to share and helps the campus and community understand some of the experiences of our military affiliated students.
About MiraCosta College
The MiraCosta Community College District has served the coastal North San Diego County area for over 80 years. More than 17,000 credit students per semester in over 70 disciplines enroll in associate degrees, university transfer and workforce readiness certificate programs. The college also serves a wide spectrum of educational needs in the region ranging from programs for adult education, basic skills, and ESL to a California Community College pilot program offering the nation’s first baccalaureate degree in biomanufacturing. MiraCosta College is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges.
About Military Friendly® and Victory Media
The Military Friendly® Employers and Military Friendly® Schools designation process includes extensive research and a data-driven survey of leading companies and colleges nationwide. The survey, methodology, criteria and weightings are developed with the assistance of an independent advisory council of educators and employers, and tested by EY based upon the weightings and methodology established by Victory Media. The survey is administered for free. Criteria for consideration and recipients of the designation can be found at: https://militaryfriendly.com. Founded in 2001, Victory Media is a service-disabled, veteran-owned small business (SDVOSB) that connects the military community to civilian employment, entrepreneurial and education opportunities through its G.I. Jobs®, Military Spouse, Vetrepreneur®, STEM JobsSM and Military Friendly® brands. Learn more about Victory Media at www.victorymedia.com.