Home / Energy / Southern California Utilities Call for Energy Conservation, Frost Advisory Continues

Southern California Utilities Call for Energy Conservation, Frost Advisory Continues

Oceanside CA- A frost advisory by the Nation Weather Service continues for Southern California from 9:00PM to 9:00AM Tuesday with temperatures dipping into the 30’s. Sensitive outdoor plants may be killed if not covered overnight.

Continuing record cold weather across the United States is placing a heavy strain on short-term natural gas supplies and California utility companies — Los Angeles Department of Water and Power (LADWP), San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E), Southern California Edison (SCE), and Southern California Gas Co. (SoCalGas) — are asking customers to conserve energy, particularly natural gas.

While there currently is not an imminent threat of disruption of natural gas service to residential and small commercial customers, the utilities are urging all customers to take precautionary conservation measures throughout this week. Conserving electricity is also urged because many local power plants are fueled by natural gas and less electricity used lessens demand on the gas supply.

In addition to a statewide message, the utilities may be issuing targeted customer notifications to address localized impact to their respective customers. The following steps can help ensure natural gas supplies are sufficient to meet demand created by the severe winter.

  • Lower your thermostat by three to five degrees (health permitting).
  • Limit use of non-essential electric and gas appliances, fireplaces and spas.
  • Reduce your water heating usage: use less hot water, turn down the water heater thermostat or insulate your water heater.
  • Use LED holiday lights, which last longer and use about 70% less energy than incandescent light strings both indoors and outside. Install a timer and set your holiday lights to automatically turn on and off at specific times.

Customers are reminded to follow these important safety tips when heating their homes to reduce the risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Symptoms of CO poisoning can include unexplained nausea, headaches, drowsiness, mental confusion and flu-like symptoms.

  • Never use your oven, range or outdoor grill to heat your home because these appliances are not designed for this purpose and can emit dangerous carbon monoxide.
  • Install a CO detector or change the batteries in your CO detectors.
  • If you suspect that you or a loved one is suffering from CO poisoning, call 911 immediately
%d bloggers like this: