Oceanside CA- The Department of Animal Services (DAS)is hiring 10 Animal Control Officers. The DAS provides animal-related law enforcement, sheltering, medical and pet adoption services to three regions located in South County, North County, and San Diego. Within these three regions the Department takes in more than 26,000 animals into its three shelters annually. The Department has been recognized for its excellent public service, high integrity, new facilities and outstanding team work.
The ideal candidate for this position has a strong work ethic, is able to work independently, is inquisitive, understands and adheres to standard operating procedures, utilizes current methods and techniques related to animal control programs, possesses excellent writing skills, and the skills to operate animal control tools and equipment. The candidate must have compassion towards animals, understanding, creativity, excellent interpersonal communication skills, critical thinking, sound judgment and problem-solving skills, the ability to effectively deal with extremely complicated investigations and the ability to calmly interact with highly emotional individuals.
Job Title: Animal Control Officer-14570304
Closing Date/Time: Wed. 04/30/14 11:59 PM Pacific Time
Salary: $38,209.60 – $49,316.80 Annually
Job Type: Regular – Full time
Location: County of San Diego, California
- Investigate complaints about animal cruelty, abuse, and neglect
- Interact with people in a positive, friendly and ethical manner
- Respond to reports of dangerous animals
- Enforce state felony and misdemeanor laws, and local animal-related regulatory ordinances
- Write detailed investigation reports
- Give expert testimony in court cases
- Serve search warrants
- Arrest people suspected of violating animal-related laws
- In a disaster, help evacuate animals to safety
New officers are trained for these tasks through an extensive 10-week long academy, but not everyone has the right combination of skills to succeed in this type of work.
For details on qualifications and requirements and job description, visit the DAS website [Link]