Oceanside CA– The weather should be great, on this Mother’s Day weekend for the events happening around town. A high temperature of 68 on Saturday and 73 on Sunday with mostly clear skies are in the forecast.
Beach Clean up One
This is a community beach clean-up event to remove trash and debris from Oceanside Harbor Beach. Sponsored by San Diego Coastkeeper
9:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m., Oceanside Harbor Beach
Beach Clean Up Too (two)
The Mother of all Oceanside Beach Cleanups; Rubio’s CoastFest 2014
After an incredibly successful 2013 celebration that launched Rubio’s ‘To the Ocean’ campaign and saw a record turnout, this year’s CoastFest is even bigger and better. With more than 1,600 attendees expected to join the festivities at the Oceanside Pier on May 10, the celebration will kick off at 10 a.m. with community members going the extra nautical mile at a beach cleanup hosted by I Love a Clean San Diego. Last year’s efforts resulted in more than 350 pounds of trash being removed from the coastline. This year, beach cleanup participants should bring a bucket, gloves, sun protection and a reusable water bottle. For more beach cleanup information, please visit: www.rubios.com/CoastFest.
Following the beach cleanup, the celebration begins and includes:
- CoastFest activities – this year’s celebration is full of exciting freebies and activities, including: prizes from the Rubio’s prize wheel, surf lessons, a mobile aquarium, face painting, an inflatable jumpy house and a photo booth to capture the day’s memories.
- Complimentary food and drinks – guests will be able to enjoy a Rubio’s sustainable Grilled or Blackened Regal Springs® Taco, handmade guacamole featuring Hass avocados and chips, freshly prepared salsa, beverages and more.
- Music festival – guests are invited to visit the main stage throughout the celebration for free live music from a collection of local Southern California bands, as well as FM 94/9. Musical acts include: Jet West, a reggae/rock band from San Diego that fuses traditional rock with elements of reggae and hard rock and Bad Neighborz, a 2012 San Diego Music Award nominee for Best Artist. Families can also enjoy live, interactive performances from Clint Perry & The Boo Hoo Crew in the Kid’s Zone.
- VIP Beer Garden – a new addition to this year’s CoastFest, Rubio’s has added a VIP beer garden to the celebration – featuring Karl Strauss beer and Lolailo Sangria. Tickets are $20 for adults and $10 for kids. Guests can purchase tickets here: www.rubios.com/CoastFest.
- Kids’ Zone educational elements – Rubio’s understands that the ocean makes everything it does possible and in turn is passionate about educating future generations. To ensure a love of the ocean is passed down, the Ocean Institute’s “Ocean in Motion” aquarium touch tank, as well as the mobile learning center courtesy of the Wyland Foundation® will be on site for children of all ages.
- Complimentary surf lessons – onsite surf lessons will be available to attendees from Surfin’ Fire.
This year’s event partners include: I Love a Clean San Diego, Dr Pepper, Ocean Institute, Spy Optics, Wyland Foundation, Birch Aquarium, UCSD Sustainability Department, Agua Hedionda Lagoon Foundation, Honest Tea, Regal Springs® Tilapia, Trident, Lolailo Sangria, Karl Strauss, Surfin’ Fire, Cox Communications and more.
American Girl Tea Party
Beach cleaning not your cup of tea? Enjoy tea, dessert, crafts and other delightful activities that highlight the ballet dancer and American Girl of the year, Isabelle. Free and for kids, ages 6-12, and parents or caregivers. Advance sign up is required as space is limited. Please call (760) 435-5490, or sign up at one of the service desks to reserve your spot. 2:00 p.m., Civic Center Library
Oh, the Things My Mom Will Do
Celebrate your Mom with Mother’s Day Storytime featuring Oh, the Things My Mom Will Do by Marianne Richmond. This sweet and amusing book will have Moms and kids smiling as it spotlights all the different ways a Mom shows her devotion. Create a Mother’s Day card for your Mom, plus other activities and treats. 11:00 a.m., Barnes&Noble 2615 Vista Way in Oceanside.
Heritage Day Fundraiser
The City of Oceanside Parks and Recreation Division and the Friends of Oceanside Parks will host the annual Heritage Park Day Festival fundraising event at Heritage Park, located 220 Peyri Road in Oceanside on Saturday, May 10 from 12:00 – 4:00 p.m.
Enjoy live music, dance performances, an antique car show, historic building tours, food booths, vendors, and chances to win the opportunity drawings. Admission is $5 for adults and $1 for children, with proceeds benefiting the Friends of Oceanside Parks, a non-profit foundation established to raise money to ensure recreational services and programs are always within reach for all Oceanside residents. Summer camp staff will be onsite at the event to take your camp registrations. Families who register their campers at the event will receive complimentary admission to the Heritage Park Day Festival.
For questions about Oceanside Parks and Recreation programs, please visit www.oceansiderec.com, call (760) 435-5041, or Facebook “Oceanside Parks & Recreation”.
Mother’s Day Fancy Dress Swim
This is an annual fundraiser for World Swim with ladies in fancy dresses wading in and out of the ocean. Sponsored by Parenting 2.0.
North Pier Beach, 9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.