San Diego CA- On Saturday September 20, 2014, the San Diego Del Norte chapter of the National Charity League will celebrate its volunteer work to rehab a park used by residents of St. Vincent de Paul Village. The ribbon cutting and party coincides with Father Joe’s inaugural Good Neighbor Day, a call for people countywide to conduct acts of kindness for neighbors in need.
In only two months, with help from inspired volunteers, the Navy, and materials donated by many local businesses, National Charity League completely rehabilitated the worn park.
Father Joe’s Villages’ Good Neighbor Month includes a variety of events to raise awareness about homelessness, encourage neighborly acts and provoke important dialogue around key homelessness issues. This event highlights all of the acts of neighborly kindness inspired by Good Neighbor Month and kicks off the Inaugural Good Neighbor Day. In attendance will be: Diane Stumph, Interim CEO of Father Joe’s Villages, Mary MacDonald, Director of Development of Father Joe’s Villages Volunteers
The event takes place, Saturday, September 20, 2 p.m. – 3:45 p.m. at the Jinny Jo’s Park. Corner of 17th St. and Commercial St., San Diego, CA 92101
LIST OF IMPROVEMENTS IN THE PARK:
- All park structures were sanded, power-washed and repainted
- Overgrown bamboo was replaced with bougainvillea and orange trees donated by Village Nurseries.
- The dying grass was replaced with a sports court made from water saving and more durable artificial grass donated by AstroTurf. KRC Rock donated the DG and granite base of the court.
- The foam play surface was repaired and refinished with volunteers as well as materials and expertise donations from Ohno construction.
- The park’s existing mural was re-painted and a new mural was added.
- The park’s shed was shelved & stocked with toys & sports equipment.
- A new part was added to the play-structure to replace the missing slide, and new ceramic pots were placed at the park entrance and filled with lemon trees.
- The basketball court was fixed, re-marked and fitted with a new net. Sports balls were bought and a score blackboard was painted.
- Benches were repaired and repositioned on concrete bases to view the sports court.
- A ditch in the park was filled with materials donated by KRC rock.
- Navy volunteers provided labor for placement of the AstroTurf artificial turf, DG and granite, rocks and planters, as well as burial of a drainage pipe.
- Cintas donated a baby-changing table for the restroom.
- The existing barrel & concrete planters were re-painted and moved.