Carlsbad CA— The holidays are here and that means more and more shoppers visiting the City of Carlsbad’s malls, outlets and plazas. With the increase in shoppers, there is an increased risk for holiday shopping related crime. The Police Department is prepared.
During the holiday season the Police Department will increase patrol and have a heightened presence around Carlsbad’s malls and outlet centers. The department is looking to deter shopping related crime like thefts from vehicles, thefts from shoppers, shoplifting and fraud.
Shoppers can also be prepared by using these safety tips
- Park carefully and as close to your destination at possible.
- Use shuttles and security if you have to travel a distance to your car.
- Don’t get overloaded with packages. You need to see and be able to react.
- Consider who might be watching you put packages in the trunk of your car.
- Don’t leave valuables, packages or other personal items unattended in cars.
- Don’t leave purses, wallets and purchases unattended while shopping.
- Carry limited cash and only the necessary credit cards.
- Be aware of who and what is going on around you.
- Shop with a friend; there is safety in numbers.
- Dress comfortably and consider leaving the expensive jewelry at home.
- Plan ahead to ensure your safety. Shop early and shop safely.
- When shopping online, use only reputable, well-known companies with secure sites.
- Watch your checking account and credit card accounts carefully.
Working together we can ensure everyone has a safe and happy holiday season. We will see you out there.