Carlsbad CA— On February 4, at an annual award ceremony, the City of Carlsbad Police Department named the 2014 Officer, Civilian and Supervisor of the Year award recipients.
Corporal Rick Galanos, a 25 year veteran, was named the 2014 Police Officer of the Year. Galanos was praised for being tireless and passionate when it comes to fighting crime. He is a problem-solving leader that works compassionately and industriously with the community toward a safe and secure Carlsbad.
Community Services Officer II Tanisha Powell was selected as the 2014 Civilian Employee of the Year. Powell maintains the highest level of professionalism and integrity while undertaking the daunting task of reorganizing and maintaining the Property and Evidence Division. Powell’s commitment and self-sacrifice enables the Police Department to offer exemplary service to the Community of Carlsbad.
Sergeant Jeff Smith was selected as the 2014 Supervisor of the Year. The officers under Smith’s command nominated him for this award and wrote that he leads by example, and utilizes a balance between exceptional leadership and the promotion of tools necessary to get the job done.
The Police Department presented numerous other awards in recognition of exceptional community service including:
- DUI Officer of the Year and Auto Theft Recovery Officer of the Year were both awarded to the hard working and dedicated Officer Cody Green.
- Senior Volunteer Patrol Officer of the Year Jackie Labeaune was selected for her dedication to volunteerism and to the Senior Volunteer Patrol’s programs and services.
- Carlsbad Police Explorer of the Year, Vanessa Perez, a recently promoted Sergeant, was selected for her commitment to the Explorer Program and her work at incidents like the Poinsettia Fire.
- Station Volunteer of the Year Mary Hill was selected for her unparalleled support of the administrative and investigative units at the Police Department.
Police Chief Gary Morrison also awarded the following medals:
- Distinguished Service Medal – Suzie Meyer, Administrative Secretary
- Medal of Merit – Sergeant Kevin Lehan
- Medal of Merit – Jodee Sasway, Community Relations Manager
- Lifesaving Award—Officer Eric Kovanda
- Police Star Award—Officer Brendan Kidd
“I am very proud of the hard work performed by all the men and women of the Carlsbad Police Department,” noted Police Chief Gary Morrison. “Great policing takes teamwork and I would like to thank this hardworking team that includes other city departments, the community of Carlsbad and the men and women of Carlsbad Police.”