Don't Miss
Home / News / One Person Confirmed Dead, One Injured in Oceanside Mobile Home Fire-UPDATED

One Person Confirmed Dead, One Injured in Oceanside Mobile Home Fire-UPDATED

UPDATE: There has been an arrest in this case for arson and murder.  See details here [Link]

Oceanside CA— One adult female is confirmed dead, one person injured and another unaccounted for after fire consumed their home in the Lamplighter Mobile Home Park, 4660 North River Rd.

The Oceanside Fire Department was dispatched to the location at 6:30 Sunday evening, February 22, 2015, “We could see smoke from quite a distance away as we responded”  said Oceanside Battalion, Chief Felipe Rodriguez.

Tammy Williams who lives across from the home that burned was one of the first people to arrive at the scene. “We heard a loud pop and then we heard yelling.” explained Tammy. “We grabbed our garden hose and went across the street to put out the fire.” continued Tammy ” The smoke was too heavy and the fire was just too hot for us to go inside and help.” Tammy said the man who lives in the home had told her the fire started on the counter and he had burns on his forehead as he left the house. “He was just in a daze.  We’ve known the family for about eight years. this is just so sad.”


Battalion Chief Rodriguez said when they arrived, there was heavy smoke and fire coming from the rear of the home. “The first company in pulled a line through the front door, did a search for two people reportedly inside the home and began to put out the fire.” explained the Chief “Unfortunately one person was found dead inside the home, one person was transported by helicopter to UCSD Medical Center [in Hillcrest] and one person is unaccounted for, the family’s son.”

The adult woman, approximately 60 years old, was found in the rear of the fire building and appeared to have been trying to find refuge in her bathtub.

The other adult man, the step-son of the man who was transported, was not found within the burned home or within the surrounding area.

Two dogs were also rescued and were being turned over to the Humane Society; both had burns, but were in stable condition.

The Chief said the search was hampered by clutter in the home, personal belongings. “It makes it much more difficult to conduct a search when there is a lot of clutter in a home like this one had.”

Firefighters making an offensive attack on the inside of the structure had to pull back when the roof of the home began to collapse and they were unable to knock the fire down from the rear of the home.

Firefighters were protecting homes on three sides of the home involved. “We were able to contain the fire to the one home and there was a little bit of damage to another next door.”

The condition of the man transported to UCSD is unknown at this time.

The fire was under control in approximately 40 minutes.

The cause and origin of the fire is being investigated by an Oceanside Fire Department Investigator and an Oceanside Police Department Investigator. They are in the process of attempting to interview the burned man and trying to locate his step son prior to determining the cause.

There were no injured firefighters as a result of this fire. Damage to the home is estimated to be a complete loss and at $150,000.

We will update this story as more information becomes available.

Photos: Steve Marcotte / OsideNews