Home / News / Teen Playing With Lighter Sparks Third Major Oceanside Structure Fire in Four Days-UPDATED

Teen Playing With Lighter Sparks Third Major Oceanside Structure Fire in Four Days-UPDATED

UPDATE: An investigator with the Oceanside Fire Department responded to investigate the cause and origin of the fire. After interviewing the residents and evaluating conditions inside the structure, it was determined that the teenage girl was responsible for starting the fire.

The girl, whose name is not being released, had been playing with a lighter in her bedroom when paper was ignited and then dropped. The fire quickly spread to the curtains and other contents. The girl ran outside and told an adult male working in the garage that her room was on fire. The adult male made an effort to extinguish the fire with a portable extinguisher, but had to run from the residence when the flames and smoke became too unbearable to remain. Original story continues below—

Oceanside CA— Oceanside firefighters battled their third major structure fire in the last four days including a fatal fire [Link] on Sunday.

At 6:00pm, Monday February 23, 2015 Oceanside police and firefighters were dispatched to 1222 Holly Street for reports of a home on fire. A thick column of smoke was visible from much of Oceanside.

Oceanside Fire Department Battalion Chief, Pete Lawrence said crews arrived three minutes after dispatch “They found heavy fire coming from the back of the residence and one of the residents was sitting out on the curb when they arrived.”

Initial reports had a child trapped in the residence but that turned out not to be the case. “There were three people inside the structure when the fire started.” continued Chief Lawrence. “We did a search of the home and verified there was no one inside. The homeowner we found [out front], was not injured. He was evaluated by paramedics on scene and released.”

“Crews made, as much as possible, an aggressive interior attack with the volume of the fire.” explained Chief Lawrence ” It took 23 firefighters 27 minutes to bring the fire under control.”

“The initial investigation is that the fire was human caused but we will know more as the investigation continues.” said Chief Lawrence.

A total of 24 firefighters staffing four engines, one truck, a squad, two ambulances, one investigator and two chief vehicles responded to the fire.  Total damage to the structure was estimated at $200,000 with $75,000 in additional damage to the contents (total of $275,000).  Saving the garage and one bedroom from being destroyed prevented approximately $35,000 in additional damages.

click on thumbnail image to enlarge photo and begin slideshow
Photos: Steve Marcotte / OsideNews
%d bloggers like this: