Rubio’s® Invites Community to Celebrate the Ocean
Popular Fast Casual Chain Partners with I Love a Clean San Diego to Host Beach Cleanup to Help Protect Ocean
Oceanside CA— Rubio’s® Restaurants has counted the ocean as a source of inspiration since its founding more than 30 years ago and remains committed to helping protect the ocean. On July 18, Rubio’s is inviting Southern California residents to its 4th annual Rubio’s CoastFest in Oceanside, Calif. One of the largest organized beach cleanups in San Diego, the clean up includes a celebration of the ocean with live music, complimentary food and drinks, a beer garden, and dozens of activities for kids of all ages including a mobile ocean education center, surf lessons, disc golf, surf-shaped corn-hole and more.
Rubio’s CoastFest has continued to grow year after year, with a record turnout of more than 2,000 attendees and over 400 pounds of trash removed from the coastline in 2014. This year’s event is gearing up to be even bigger with the addition of performances by one of Billboard magazine’s chart-ranking artists, The Mowgli’s, as well as popular children’s band Hullaballo. Additional experiences include an exhibit from the California Surf Museum, pop-up gardens featuring fresh ingredients used in Rubio’s dishes, an outdoor cinema provided by Cox Media and photo booth provided by Cox Communications.
The festivities at the Oceanside Pier will kick off at 10 a.m. with community members going the extra nautical mile at a beach cleanup hosted by I Love a Clean San Diego. To get in on the cleanup action, participants should plan to bring a bucket, gloves, sun protection and a reusable water bottle.
Following the beach cleanup, the CoastFest celebration includes:
- Complimentary food and drinks – Attendees will get to sample the Santa Fe Crusted Tilapia Taco that’s not yet on the menu, in addition to enjoying handmade guacamole and chips, freshly prepared salsa, beverages and more.
- Music festival – Guests are invited to visit the main stage throughout the celebration for free live music from a collection of local Southern California bands, as well as giveaways from 94.9 FM and KSON 97.3. Standout musical acts include The Mowgli’s, a Los Angeles-based group incorporating rock n’ roll, indie-folk and heartfelt ballads to create a quintessential California sound, and Max and the Moon, an alternative rock band with sounds that resemble the classic harmonies of the Beach Boys and early Coldplay.
- Beer Garden – Guests 21+ can enjoy a cold brew at the beer garden featuring local craft selections. All proceeds from the beer garden will benefit I Love A Clean San Diego.
- Kids’ Zone – To help ensure a love of the ocean is passed down to future generations, there will be several educational and experiential activities for children that teach kids about different aspects of the ocean. These include a mobile learning center courtesy of the Wyland Foundation®, San Diego County Office of Education Splash Van, Rubio’s prize wheel and performances by popular children’s bands Hullabaloo and Clint Perry & the BooHoo Crew.
- Activities and Games – Guests of all ages can enjoy free onsite surf lessons from Surfin’ Fire and a sea of other activities including face painting, corn-hole, disc golf and more.
This year’s on-site event partners include: I Love a Clean San Diego, Cox Communications, Motts®, Wyland Foundation, Honest Kids, Regal Springs® Tilapia, Trident Seafoods, Dasani®, Spy, Fiat, San Diego County Water Authority, San Diego County Office of Education, San Diego Credit Union, Surfin’ Fire and more.
Rubio’s works to be a friend to the ocean year-round with a majority of its seafood being sourced from sustainable fisheries, recycling plastic and glass bottles in restaurants whenever possible, using eco-friendly plates and to-go containers and supporting ocean focused causes. For more information about the 2015 CoastFest, please visit www.RubiosCoastFest.com.To learn more about Rubio’s, its upcoming initiatives or its coastal cuisine, please visit: www.rubios.com.
About Rubio’s® Restaurants:
Rubio’s first opened in 1983, in the San Diego neighborhood of Mission Bay. Today, counting the ocean as a source of inspiration, Rubio’s uses sustainable seafood in nearly all of its seafood dishes and continues to expand its menu with innovative recipes ranging from sustainable Classic Grilled Shrimp Burrito and Salsa Verde Shrimp Tacos to California Bowls with Pacific Mahi Mahi. In addition, Rubio’s offers crisp fresh salads, grilled marinated chicken and steak, “no fried” pinto beans, handmade guacamole, a variety of proprietary salsas, and craft beer and sangria beverage options. The award-winning restaurant regularly receives accolades for its famous Original Fish Taco®. It was also recently named the number one Mexican chain on Consumer Reports’ latest survey as well as ranked as one of Fast Casual’s ‘Top 50 Movers and Shakers’. Rubio’s participates in a variety of ocean-centric efforts throughout the year including its annual CoastFest celebration and beach cleanup. Rubio’s is headquartered in Carlsbad, Calif., has over 4,000 employees and operates 193 restaurants in California, Arizona, Colorado, Utah and Nevada. For more information, visit http://rubios.com.