Trains Run on the 4th Of July, Too!
If you’re near the beach, you’re probably near the tracks
Oceanside CA— Fireworks, the beach, barbeques and unseasonably cool weather are expected for this holiday weekend. What can San Diegans also expect?
As you hit the beach to celebrate Independence Day with family and friends, remember these tips to stay safe near the rails:
- Trains can come at any time, in either direction. Never try to outrun a train.
- Always cross the track at designated crossings. Although the quickest route to the beach might be straight across the tracks, trespassing via the short route is dangerous and you may receive a ticket!
- Never set up your lawn chairs or allow your children to play near the tracks. Train operators who suspect that something is on the tracks may be forced to put the train into emergency-braking, endangering their passengers and YOU!
- It’s best to pretend that the railroad is an alligator-infested moat; give the right-of-way a wide berth!
- Keep your dog on a leash. Not only is it the law, but a leash can keep Rover from getting himself into a dangerous situation by sniffing along the tracks.
- Don’t hesitate to let others know if they are doing something that is potentially unsafe. By alerting them to a hazardous situation, you are being a good friend and neighbor!
The North County Transit District wishes San Diego a safe and enjoyable Independence Day!