Home / News / Garage Blaze Extinguished by Oceanside, Vista Fire Departments
Photo courtesy of Oceanside Fire Department

Garage Blaze Extinguished by Oceanside, Vista Fire Departments

Oceanside CA— This morning, July 22, 2015, at approximately 6:03 a.m., Oceanside and Vista Fire Department units were dispatched for a residential structure fire at 3235 Buena Hills Drive in Oceanside.

Oceanside Engine 2114 arrived within five minutes after dispatched, and found a one-story duplex with heavy, dark smoke showing from one of the garages. Firefighters initiated an offensive fire attack to extinguish the garage fire.

A vehicle was parked on the exterior, approximately 18 inches in front of the garage door, which was an older wooden door instead of a newer roll-up door, therefore, causing a delay with accessing the fire.

The first-arriving crews accessed the fire through the small space created between the garage door and the vehicle parked in front of it. They also entered through an interior garage door located near the kitchen area. They ensured no one was in the home and prevented the fire from extending into the home. A hole was cut into the roof by firefighters from Oceanside Truck 2176 to allow hot gases and smoke to escape from the attic area.

After moving the vehicle, crews were better-able to extinguish the fire through the garage door as well. The fire was extinguished in approximately 40 minutes.

The interior of the garage area had a large amount of storage stacked up to the roof line, including books and cardboard boxes full of items. In addition, it had an older refrigerator within it, which is believed to be the cause of the fire.

Crews were able to save the adjacent duplex home as well. Both homes suffered electrical damage to the wiring leading from the main electrical panel, therefore the occupants were relocated by the American Red Cross; the adjacent unit’s occupants were relocated with relatives. A total of two occupants lived in each duplex unit.

The duplex, including both sides, is estimated to be worth a total of approximately $511,000. The damage is estimated at $50,000 to the structure and $25,000 for the contents. There were no injuries as a result of this fire.

%d bloggers like this: