Carlsbad CA— Fifteen diverse arts and music programs serving thousands of students attending elementary, middle and high schools within five North County school districts have received a total of $9,800 in 2015 grants from nonprofit ArtSplash. The grants fund programs from printmaking and painting to performing and more during school year 2015-16.
To date, ArtSplash, which holds its 13th annual Chalk Art and Entertainment Festival on September 26-27, 2015 on Armada Drive in Carlsbad, has given nearly $70,000 in grants to innovative and enriching programs that might not be possible without the funding. This year, grants ranging from $500 to $1,000 will support programs within Carlsbad Unified School District, Oceanside Unified School District, San Dieguito Union High School District, San Marcos Unified School District and Vista Unified School District.
They include a second consecutive “Arts Attack” grant to La Costa Meadows (LCM) Elementary. Art Coordinator Lori Roy states, “Thanks to last year’s grant, our school was able to purchase new oil pastel sets. This year, the student population and corresponding arts needs have grown. The 2015 grant will enable LCM to replace decade-old paintbrushes for its nearly 1,000 students, who showcase their masterpieces at the school’s annual open house.”
ArtSplash Chair Joni Miringoff says, “We thank Lori and other awesome educators for inspiring their students to soar and succeed. Their efforts enable ArtSplash to fulfill its mission as a community celebration for arts education.” She notes that proceeds from ArtSplash 2015 will fund upcoming grants. Many student-artists from grant-funded programs attend and participate.
With new features including internationally renowned 3D chalk artist Tracy Lee Stum, local legend Fern Street Circus, and interactive Community Parades, ArtSplash 2015 will live up to its theme as “A September to Remember.” More information on Carlsbad’s fall classic is at www.facebook.com/carlsbadartsplash and www.carlsbadartsplash.org.
The list of 2015 ArtSplash schools and grants funded:
Carlsbad Unified School District
- Valley Middle, Choral Department, “Come on, everybody – let’s put on a show!”— $ 700
- Valley Middle, Band/Orchestra, Additions to music library — $ 700
- Valley Middle, Printmaking supplies — $ 700
- Aviara Oaks Middle, Art, California Adventures Animation Workshop— $ 700
- Carlsbad High, Choral, Music arrangements— $ 700
- Carlsbad High, XCalibur, “Get XCalibur to Nationals” travel expenses— $ 500
- Poinsettia Elementary, Visual Arts supplies — $ 700
- Calavera Hills Elementary, “Kinders Go Full STEAM Ahead,” weekly art lessons— $ 500
- Sage Creek High, Botanical Illustrations, supplies — $ 700
San Marcos Unified School District
- San Marcos Middle, Studio Art, Dale Chiluly sculptures— $ 500
- La Costa Meadows, Arts Attack, paintbrushes— $ 500
Oceanside Unified School District
- Pacific View Charter School, Guitars and related equipment— $ 700
- North Terrace Elementary, Band, Percussion instruments— $1,000
Vista Unified School District
- Vista High, Chalk Day Art Festival— $ 700
San Dieguito Union High School District
- San Dieguito High, Art Fest 2016— $ 700