Home / News / Stabbing Suspects Avoid Arrest, Carjack Suspect Doesn’t

Stabbing Suspects Avoid Arrest, Carjack Suspect Doesn’t

Stabbing Incident at Melba Bishop Rec Center

Oceanside CA— On October 16, 2015 at 8:30 p.m., Oceanside Police dispatchers received a 9-1-1 call regarding a stabbing which occurred at Melba Bishop Recreation Center, 5306 North River Road.

The investigation revealed a 21-year-old victim was with three at the recreation center for a dance class.  When they finished they went to the parking lot. A small group of two Hispanic males and one Hispanic female approached them. One of the persons asked the group, “Do you bang.”  The four friends told them they didn’t however, one of the Hispanic males pulled out a bladed weapon, and cut the victim. The other two suspects chased the other three and fought with them.  All four victims were able to run away.

The victim suffered a non-life threatening stab wound to the left side of this stomach and was transported to Scripps Hospital in La Jolla.  None of the other victims suffered major injuries.

Anyone with information related to this incident is asked to call the Oceanside Police Department at (760) 435-4911.

Attempted Carjack Suspect Arrested

Earlier on October 16, 2015 at 7:00 a.m., Oceanside Police Communications Center dispatchers received a call of an attempted carjacking in the 400 block of Airport Road. The location was near Tsunami Skydiving at 480 Airport Road.  The victim reported a male, who was bleeding, was banging on the window of his vehicle. The person was trying to get into the vehicle and claimed to have a gun.

The first officer arrived and the suspect (later identified as Tyler Jefferson) appeared from the area of Tsunami Skydiving. Jefferson began moving aggressively toward the officer. Jefferson was naked and bleeding from various wounds on his body.

Nearly simultaneously, a second officer arrived. Jefferson directed his attention to that officer. He clenched his fists and approached aggressively toward the officer. He disregarded commands to stop.  The officer deployed his Taser, which caused Jefferson to fall to the ground. However Jefferson immediately stood, ripped the darts from his body and charged the officer.  The officer was engaged in a hand to hand struggle with Jefferson when the original officer intervened.  Both officers struggled with Jefferson and were able to take him into custody after a second Taser deployment.

The investigation revealed Jefferson had forced entry into the Tsunami Skydivers building, breaking the front glass window.  He also gained access onto the airport tarmac and attempted to steal an airplane. Jefferson was taken to Tri City Medical Center for treatment and then to the Vista Detention Facility.

Tyler Jaymes Jefferson of Oceanside, DOB: December 30, 1996  was arrested and booked for:

  • Attempted Carjacking
  • Burglary
  • Attempted theft of an airplane
  • Resisting police officers with violence.