Home / News / Faulty Microwave Oven Causes Fire in O’side Home
Firefighters use thermal imaging to detect hot spots in the attic

Faulty Microwave Oven Causes Fire in O’side Home

Oceanside CA— An Oceanside couple was forced from their home today, Monday December, 28, 2015 after a faulty microwave oven started a fire. The home is in the 400 block of Los Arbolitos Blvd.

The Oceanside Fire Department responded to the residence at 1:30pm, found light smoke coming from a vent on the roof and smoke inside the residence.

Carlos and Kathy Cervantes had just moved into the home three days prior. “We were so excited to find a place just across the parking lot from our old house. We didn’t need to rent a truck or anything.” said Kathy. The couple was forced to move because the owner was selling their former residence.

427_los_arbolitos_fire03_osidenews

Firefighters remove burned debris from the home.

“Yesterday, I used the microwave and there was a funny smell coming from it but we just moved in and so I though maybe it’s just the way it is.” Kathy explained “I used it again about 10:00 this morning, for breakfast, and the smell was stronger so I just turned it off. The smell intensified, it was just getting worse and I wasn’t even using the microwave.” continued Kathy “Later we noticed smoke coming from on top of the microwave.”

Carlos got a fire extinguisher from the laundry room, opened the cabinet to see what was happening and flames erupted.

Kathy and Carlos Cervantes outside their home after fire was extinguished.

Kathy and Carlos Cervantes outside their home after fire was extinguished.

“I used the extinguisher but it really didn’t do anything.” Carlos said. Kathy added “I was already on the phone to 9-1-1 when Carlos ran outside to get another extinguisher. “I broke my cell phone trying to break the extinguisher out of its cabinet but the second extinguisher mostly put the fire out.” said Carlos.

Firefighters used thermal imaging to locate hot spots in the wall and attic and found charred electrical wiring, extinguished what fire remained and used exhaust fans to ventilate the smoke.

“We were able to have the gas turned back on to the unit but because of the charred wiring, we can’t have the electricity turned back on until an electrician checks out the wires” said Oceanside Fire Department Battalion Chief, Peter Lawrence.

Oceanside Battalion Chief, Peter Lawrence inspects the debris pulled from the home.

Oceanside Battalion Chief, Peter Lawrence inspects the debris pulled from the home.

The Red Cross was called to assist Carlos and Kathy.

Chief Lawrence gave a preliminary damage estimate of $10,000.  No injuries were reported.