Oceanside CA— The Oceanside Fire Department along with units from Vista and Carlsbad were dispatched to reports of a residential fire, 3606 Amigos Court, in southeast Oceanside at 5:08pm, Saturday, January 16, 2016.
The first unit arrived five minutes thereafter, and found a well involved two-car garage on fire; it was attached to a two-story home. Oceanside Engine 2114 ensured that all occupants had evacuated the home and began extinguishing the garage fire.
“When the first units arrived, they found heavy fire coming from the garage headed into the house.” explained Oceanside Fire Battalion Chief, Felipe Rodriguez, “Crews stretched some hose lines and suppressed the fire at the garage and kept it from getting into the house.”
“One of the residents, who was working in the garage and accidentally started the fire, was injured” said the Chief. He sustained minor burn injuries and was transported to Tri-City Medical Center.
The fire was under control within 15 minutes after arrival. Seven occupants were displaced, but stated that they would stay with friends or family.
The cause of the fire was determined to be accidental and started in the garage when an electric space heater caught nearby clothing on fire. The damage is estimated to be valued at approximately $100,000 for the structure and its contents. The remainder of the home was saved and is valued at approximately $514,000.
21 firefighters responded with 4 Fire Engines, 1 Truck, 1 Ambulance, 3 Battalion Chiefs, 1 Investigator