Oceanside CA— MiraCosta College and the Chinese Club invite the public to a captivating and educational month-long celebration of the Chinese New Year beginning February 5, 2016, at the MiraCosta College Oceanside Campus.
The celebration, now in its 10th year, includes an eight-part exhibition called “Journey to the West,” which is also the name of one of the four great classical novels of Chinese literature with its main character, Sun Wukong (also known as the “Monkey King”), appropriately evoking the Chinese zodiac animal for 2016: The Monkey.
The exhibition, located in the Oceanside Campus library, explores the many facets of the Lunar New Year, celebrated by millions of people around the world. Parts of the exhibit, including the lanterns and the dragon, were purchased and brought back from China by current Chinese Club members. In fall 2015, David Parker’s architecture class built the magnificent Moon Gate, while the Silk Road display was created in collaboration between Paul Clarke and Chris Boehm’s design classes and the Chinese 201 class.
“Our primary objective is to increase the opportunities for all students to demonstrate the Institutional Learning Outcomes, especially in the area of global awareness,” said Aubrey Kuan-Roderick, student services coordinator for international perspectives.
Other events include:
- Journey to the West: The MiraCosta College library and Chinese Club invite you to its latest exhibition, Journey to the West. Explore the myriad facets of the Lunar New Year, celebrated by millions of people around the world. Each exhibit offers a rich experience and unique glimpse into a festive event.
February 1–March 18, 2016 • MiraCosta College library, Oceanside Campus
- Opening Ceremony: Come enjoy the inaugural event as they ring in the Lunar New Year with a lion dance and showcase the exhibition, Journey to the West.
February 5, 2016 • 3:30–5 p.m. • MiraCosta College library, Oceanside Campus
- College Hour Fashion Show: Attend the college hour event as students parade fashions from around the world. This event is sponsored by the Associated Student Government.
February 11, 2016 • 12:10–1:10 pm • MiraCosta College Quad, Oceanside Campus
- Speak Chinese: Ready to speak Chinese? Come and learn a few words from Chinese Club friends and students. Chinese tea and light snacks will be provided.
February 24, 2016 • 3:30–5 p.m. • MiraCosta College Aztlan A & B, Oceanside Campus
- Reading Festival, Fae Myenne Ng: Enjoy readings from Bone and Steer Toward Rock by this year’s CLC Reading Festival author Fae. Signed copies of her book available for purchase.
February 24, 2016 • 7–9 p.m. & February 25 • 10 a.m.–12 p.m. MiraCosta College Community Room, Community Learning Center
- Traditional Chinese Music: Listen to and explore traditional Chinese music from the Youth Group of the Bohua Academy of Chinese Musical Arts.
February 26, 2016 • 4:30–6 p.m. • MiraCosta College Library, San Elijo Campus
For more information, visit library.miracosta.edu/lunar_new_year_2016 or call 760.795.6897.