San Diego County CA— To jointly address the rapid progression of chronic diseases and skyrocketing healthcare costs, Exercise is Medicine® announced today a new international collaboration to bring together healthcare systems, providers, fitness professionals and community resources across the nation to better integrate physical activity into the nation’s healthcare. Exercise is Medicine® is a global health initiative managed by the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), along with the American Council on Exercise (ACE) and the Medical Fitness Association (MFA). This partnership represents nearly 50 percent of certified fitness professionals worldwide.
- Incorporating Exercise is Medicine as required teaching into all four years of curriculum to educate future physicians on the health benefits of exercise.
- Incorporating physical activity as a vital sign in their EPIC Electronic Medical Record (EMR)
- Using EIM Your Prescription for Health patient education material in the EPIC EMR
- Employing a full-time EIM Coordinator to take patient referrals and work with them to refer to either Greenville Healthcare System Medical Fitness Center or one of the Greenville community Y locations
- Onboarding Coordinator at the Y will receive all patient referrals, meet with them for onboarding and assign them to an EIM group physical activity class