Oceanside CA— The Oceanside and Escondido Police Departments are asking people to be cautious of a suspect who goes by the name “Jonathan” or “Yair” offering “attic renovation” to include insulation replacement, duct work or mold removal. He sometimes claims the work is covered by a state rebate program. He may actually do some work, but will often not compete the job and/or charge an exorbitant amount for the work.
Don’t Become a Victim of Home Contractor Fraud
Do your homework before hiring a contractor
The California Contractors State Licensing Board recommends the following steps whenever you are considering hiring a contractor:
- Hire only licensed contractors
- Get at least three bids for your project and check references
- Check the contractor license number at www.cslb.gov
- Ask to see the contractors pocket license and a current photo ID
- Ask whether the contractor carries workers’ compensation insurance for employees and general liability insurance
- Try searching your contractor’s name online for additional reviews but consider the source
- Make sure the contractor gives you an estimate in writing and the contractor lists his/her name, contractor license number, address and phone number
- Pay no more than 10% down or $1000, whichever is less.
Report Crimes or Suspicious Activity:
If you or someone you know has been a victim or has been contacted by the above mentioned subject, please contact Detective Williams at the Oceanside Police Department at 760-435-4771 or the Escondido Police Department at 760-839-4717.