Popular Fast Casual Chain Partners with I Love a Clean San Diego to Host Beach Cleanup to Help Protect Ocean on July 16
Oceanside CA— Rubio’s® Restaurants has counted the ocean as a source of inspiration since its founding more than 30 years ago. Today, Rubio’s remains committed to helping protect the ocean. On July 16, Rubio’s invites Southern California residents to its 5th annual Rubio’s CoastFest in Oceanside, Calif. One of the largest organized beach cleanups in San Diego, CoastFest includes a celebration of the ocean with live music, complimentary food and drinks, a beer garden, and dozens of activities for guests of all ages.
Rubio’s CoastFest has continued to grow year after year, with a record turnout of nearly 3,000 attendees and over 1,000 pounds of trash removed from the coastline in 2015. This year’s event is expected to be even larger than years past and will include live performances by one of Billboard magazine’s chart-ranking artists, The Mowgli’s, as well as the popular San Diego children’s band Hullaballoo, among others.
The festivities at the Oceanside Pier will kick off at 10 a.m. with community members going the extra nautical mile at a beach cleanup hosted by I Love a Clean San Diego. To get in on the cleanup action, you can register at CleanSD.org. Participants should plan to bring a bucket, gloves, sun protection and a reusable water bottle. All volunteers must sign a waiver to participate regardless of age, and minors require an additional parent or guardian signature on their waiver form.
Following the beach cleanup, the CoastFest celebration includes:
- Complimentary food and drinks – Attendees will get to sample a Pan-Seared Shrimp Taco topped with fire-roasted corn, creamy chipotle sauce, cilantro, onion and cabbage, in addition to enjoying handmade guacamole and chips, freshly prepared salsa, beverages and more.
- Music festival – Guests are invited to visit the main stage throughout the celebration for free live music from a collection of local Southern California bands, as well as giveaways from 94.9 FM and KSON 97.3. Standout musical acts include The Mowgli’s, a Los Angeles-based group incorporating rock n’ roll, indie-folk and heartfelt ballads to create a quintessential California sound; and Broken Stems, a rock band that seamlessly blends classic rock with blues, soul and reggae.
- Beer Garden – Guests 21+ can enjoy a cold brew at the beer garden featuring local craft selections or sip from a selection of Rubio’s featured wines and Sangria. All proceeds from the beer garden will benefit I Love A Clean San Diego.
- Kids’ Zone – To help ensure a love of the ocean is passed down to future generations, there will be several educational and experiential activities for children that teach kids about different aspects of the ocean. These include the San Diego County Office of Education’s Splash Van, a mobile science lab featuring several stations to learn about water quality, as well as performances by popular local children’s bands Hullabaloo and Clint Perry & the BooHoo Crew, and much more.
- Activities and Games – Guests of all ages can enjoy free onsite surf lessons and stand up paddle boarding lessons from Surfin’ Fire as well as a sea of other activities.
This year’s major event partners include the Main Stage sponsor Dr Pepper, Kids’ Zone sponsor Mi Rancho, and I Love a Clean San Diego, as well as several generous on-site partners including Clif Bar & Company, Motts®, Regal Springs® Tilapia, Trident Seafoods, San Diego County Office of Education, Surfin’ Fire and more.
Rubio’s works to be a friend to the ocean year-round with a majority of its seafood being sourced from sustainable fisheries, recycling plastic and glass bottles in restaurants whenever possible, using eco-friendly plates and to-go containers, supporting ocean focused causes, and being a member of the Blue Business Council. For more information about the 2016 CoastFest, please visit www.RubiosCoastFest.com.To learn more about Rubio’s, its upcoming initiatives or its coastal cuisine, please visit: www.rubios.com.
About Rubio’s® Restaurants:
Rubio’s first opened in 1983, in the San Diego neighborhood of Mission Bay. Today, counting the ocean as a source of inspiration, Rubio’s uses sustainable seafood in nearly all of its seafood dishes, and continues to expand its menu with innovative recipes ranging from seafood tacos and burritos to California Bowls and crisp, fresh salads. In addition, Rubio’s offers grilled marinated chicken and steak, “no fried” pinto beans, handmade guacamole, a variety of proprietary salsas, and craft beer and sangria beverage options. The award-winning restaurant regularly receives accolades for its famous Original Fish Taco®. It was also recently ranked as one of Fast Casual’s ‘Top 50 Movers and Shakers’ as well as one of its ‘Top Five Most Loved Fast Casual Chains’. Rubio’s participates in a variety of community partnership efforts throughout the year including its annual CoastFest celebration and beach cleanup. Rubio’s is headquartered in Carlsbad, Calif., has over 4,000 employees and currently operates nearly 200 restaurants in California, Arizona, Colorado, Utah and Nevada. For more information, visit http://rubios.com.