Home / News / OUSD Holding Student Safety and Security Meetings
OPD Capt. Fred Armijo and Tim Ware, OUSD Intervention Manager answer questions from concerned parents

OUSD Holding Student Safety and Security Meetings

Meetings prompted by release into community of former student who made threats against ECHS Staff

Oceanside CA— Last night, August 2, 2016, the Oceanside Unified School District held their second, of four, Student Safety and Security meetings at Cesar Chavez Middle School. The meetings were brought about after a student, who made threats [Link] towards adults at El Camino High School, had been released from law enforcement custody.

ousd_security-_info_meeting02_osidenews

Cheri Sanders, Associate Superintendent of Human Resources

The meetings are being held “Out of an abundance of caution” according to information handed out at the meeting. The student, who is currently on supervised probation, was a juvenile at the time the crimes were committed and under California law, much of the information about him and the threats are withheld although his name is contained in the handout.  You can download the PDF  from the OUSD website [here].

“Because his name is listed on the paper you have, everyone we have met with has immediately gone to social media. I want to warn you ahead of time that you are going to see some pictures that are a little concerning.  I would ask that you look at the date of those postings because we, OUSD, severed ties with this individual in March of 2015. You will note that the majority of the posts happened prior to that date” said Cheri Sanders, Associate Superintendent of Human Resources, as she began the meeting. “So those are not current postings.” continued Ms. Sanders, “You will see pictures of Iron Sights, a shooting range in Oceanside along with pictures of Camp Pendleton. I want you to be aware that both of those places are aware of the situation. He is banned from Camp Pendleton and again, Iron Sights is aware of the situation we are dealing with. That is important for you to know if you choose to go on to social media.”

Ms. Sanders went over the handout talking points adding the District has been working hand in hand with the Oceanside Police Department and the restraining order obtained against the former student states that he is not allowed within 100 yards of any OUSD property.

A written statement released by Oceanside Police Department Public Information Officer, Ryan Keim, , said “At this point, there is no active investigation involving the former juvenile, nor does OPD have any information to suggest current threats or any criminal activity.  OPD will continue to work closely with the District, who has obtained a permanent restraining order, to ensure compliance with that order.”

While officials would not go into detail about heightened security, Tim Ware, OUSD Intervention Manager said that all schools have a safety plan and a crisis response plan in place. “Our staff along with students are drilled on a regular basis.” said Mr. Ware.

There are two more information meetings scheduled. One tonight,  August 3, 2016, 6:00 p.m. at El Camino High School in the Truax Theater and August 4, 6:00 p.m. at Oceanside High School in the MPR.

To learn more visit: https://ousd-ca.schoolloop.com/cms/page_view?d=x&piid=&vpid=1469778230263