Home / News / Fire Causes Approximately $100,000 in Damage to Boat at Oceanside Harbor
(file photo)

Fire Causes Approximately $100,000 in Damage to Boat at Oceanside Harbor

Oceanside CA— At approximately 12am this morning, several callers reported to 9-1-1 that a boat was on fire in the Oceanside Harbor, near the boat launch area. The first responding Engine Company 2111 reported visible flames from a distance and arrived on scene in six minutes. The 50’ fishing vessel on fire was tied to a slip located at T-Dock, just south of the boat launch ramp area and well involved.

Fire department crews advances hose lines down the dock to attack the fire and additional personnel were assigned to back-up the firefighting effort. An Incident Command Post was established in the parking lot adjacent to T-dock with Oceanside Fire and Harbor PD in a unified-command. Oceanside fire rescue crews joined with the Harbor Rescue 1 boat and aided to protect adjacent vessels located on either side of the working fire.

The aggressive initial fire attack kept the fire from spreading to any adjacent vessels and the incident was brought under control in just eight minutes. With concerns of possible occupants living on the vessel, firefighting crews completed an entire search and was found vacant. The fire was contained to the origin and no other boats in the immediate area suffered any damage. Since the fire appeared to be centered near the aft navigation controls and not involved in the engine room, fuel runoff or any other environmental impacts were minimized and contained at the scene.

Damage was minimized as a result of the quick work of the first arriving fire personnel and harbor police. Early damage estimates of 100,000 with 80,000 to the vessel and 20,000 to the personal contents on board are approximate. An investigator with the Oceanside Fire Department responded to the scene in order to determine the cause and origin of the fire.

While the fire appears to be electrical, the exact cause is still being investigated. With the assistance of Oceanside Harbor PD, the vessel was relocated to better manage the ongoing investigation and determine to how the fire started