Oceanside CA— MiraCosta College will hold a town hall meeting, “Locker Room Talk,” on October 27, 4:30-6:30 p.m. in the Student Center on the Oceanside Campus, located, 1 Barnard Drive.
This faculty-led forum will deconstruct the current national conversation on locker room talk and sexual assault. Faculty members from psychology, sociology, and philosophy will comprise a panel that will also include members of the athletic department and student leaders.
Topics of discussion will include:
- What is sexual assault?
- How objectifying language can perpetuate violence
- Trauma associated with abuse and objectification
- The difficulties survivors face when coming forward
- The importance of supporting sexual assault survivors
- Myths of masculinity
- Societal and cultural factors that may contribute to the problem
- Political ethics: Is there such a thing?
- Athletes in the locker room and the court room
- Bystanders vs. Upstanders: The responsibility to stand up and speak out?
- Campus resources
Mental health counselors will be available during and after the event.
Attendance is free, but space is limited. For information, contact Sean Davis at email@example.com or call 760.757.2121, x7713.