Carlsbad CA— The city’s new technology learning center, the Exploration HUB, is now open at the Carlsbad City Library, located, 1775 Dove Lane. The HUB offers free, instructor-led classes and self-paced learning opportunities. Current HUB hours are Monday through Thursday, from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. A class schedule and online registration for classes is available through the city’s website.
At a Glance
- The Exploration HUB provides patrons with a collaborative and creative learning environment that allows users to tap into the latest innovations in technology.
- Featured equipment in the HUB includes:
- Ten Mac Minis with software including Photoshop Elements 14, Garage Band, iMovie, Final Cut Pro, SketchUp and more
- Two iMacs with 27-inch displays, the full Adobe Creative Suite and professional audio and video editing software
- Zeus 3D printer
- Arduino kits for exploring the world of electronics and coding
- Silhouette Cameo 2 Cutter to make intricate designs cut out of paper, cardstock, vinyl and fabric
- Photo archiving center for scanning old photos into a digital format
- Video conversion tools for transferring old VHS tapes to DVDs
- Trained staff is available to assist patrons during the Exploration HUB’s hours of operation.
- Additional improvements at the newly renovated Dove Library include:
- Faster wireless connectivity
- Improved technology access
- Enhanced seating and gathering areas
- Six group study rooms
- New teen area
- New Friends of the Library bookstore
- Courtyard with new patio and café space
- New west patio with seating and fireplace
- Upgraded Ruby G. Schulman Auditorium
- The modernization at Dove Library was part of an $11.6 million renovation project approved by the Carlsbad City Council for both Dove Library and the Cole Library on Carlsbad Village Drive, which reopened earlier this year.
- The library is recruiting volunteers with experience in 3D printing, video editing, graphic design, coding and digital crafting to oversee open hours and lead classes in the Exploration HUB. If you are interested, please contact Volunteer Coordinator Janet Galea at email@example.com or 760-602-2042.