Funded by SANDAG, twelve grant recipients to host Events
San Diego County CA— Twelve organizations throughout the region, ranging from Mesa College and the Diamond Business Association to the City of Carlsbad and the County Department of Parks and Recreation, will host free community events before and during Bike Month (which is in May). The events are made possible by GO by BIKE Mini-Grants provided by the SANDAG iCommute program.
SANDAG recently awarded $30,000 in grants to a host of organizations that are working to promote biking in San Diego County. The grants help support the agency’s ongoing effort to encourage people to GO by BIKE for everyday trips as a way to maintain an active lifestyle and help reduce greenhouse gas emissions. With more than 1,340 miles of bikeways in the San Diego region, it’s possible to go almost anywhere by riding a bike.
The most popular Bike Month event in the region, Bike to Work Day, is Thursday, May 18. Registered participants can join thousands of commuters from 6 to 9 a.m. and stop at one of 100 pit stops countywide to pick up a free t-shirt, snacks, and encouragement.
Everyone is encouraged to take part in the following events:
- City of Chula Vista – April 30, CiclaVista! public open streets event
- BikeWalkSolana – May 2 – 21, GO by BIKE Solana Beach community rides
- San Diego County Bicycle Coalition – May 4, Cyclo de Mayo fiesta
- Circulate San Diego – May 13, Bike festival and community bike ride in National City
- City of Carlsbad – May 17, Bike to Work kick-off event and bike services at local employers throughout May
- San Diego Mesa College – May 18, Free bike repair session and bike safety workshop
- City of Coronado – May 19, Bike-in movie at Tidelands Park
- Diamond Business Association – May 19, Bike-in movie event at Jacob’s Market Creek Amphitheater and community bike banners
- University Heights Community Association (UCHA) – May 20, Bike-in movie at Trolley Barn Park
- County of San Diego Department of Parks and Recreation – May 20, Lakeside community night bike ride at Lindo Lake Park
- Escondido Chamber of Commerce – May 21, Bike safety booth at Grand Avenue Festival and GO by BIKE Escondido map
- The Urban Collaborative Project – May 27, Bike to Art festival in Chicano Park
A PDF document containing the full list of events is available here. For more information about the GO by BIKE Mini-Grants or Bike to Work Day, visit 511sd.com/iCommute or call 511 and say “iCommute.”