Photos and story
by Lucy Wheeler
San Diego County CA— This year commemorates the 40th annual Volunteer Appreciation Celebration and is the day of honor and recognition for each & every volunteer. They are the heroes of Meals on Wheels and they are the ground stone for assisting the organization in meeting its mission.
Meals on Wheels’ Mission is to “support the independence and well-being of seniors” and it takes many individuals and businesses to accomplish this mission. In appreciation of all the donors for their support, Meals on Wheels acknowledges them with this annual appreciation day.
Every part of the event is donated by local businesses, food providers, entertainers and dignitaries. Meals on Wheels continue to rank in the top ten charitable organizations where the highest donations go to the actual recipients rather than administrative costs.
At the event, students assist with setup, preparation, and chores. They are among the many worker bees and appear in the long lists of business owner hosts, sponsors and food donations from all over North County, as well as organizations which donate the use of their facilities for food pick up locations.
There are 700 plus volunteers who deliver the meals in North County and as the senior population continues to grow, new volunteer applications are always welcome.
A Special Thank You to
Host & Event Food Sponsors
- San Marcos Community Center-Community Services (Host)
- Belmont Village, Cardiff By The Sea
- Brookdale Place Of Oceanside
- Chic-Fil-A, San Marcos
- Cocina Del Charro
- Fairwinds Ivey Ranch Retirement Community
- Glenbrook Health Center
- The Meridian at Lake San Marcos
- Pacifica Senior Living, Escondido
- Peterson’s Donut Corner, Escondido
- Redwood Terrace, Escondido
- The Springs of Escondido
- Starbucks, Rancho Santa Fe Rd., San Marcos
- Starbucks, Twin Oaks Valley Rd., San Marcos
- Vista Village Assisted Living
- Anderson’s La Costa Nursery, California Bank & Trust
- Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort; Cheryl Crawford;
- Costco Wholesale, San Marcos; Doreen Moss;
- Encinitas Lions Club Charities Inc.; Geraldine Patton;
- Harrah’s Resort Southern California; Jennifer Tentor;
- Jimbo’s…Naturally, Escondido; L’auberge Del Mar;
- Mr. & Mrs. Minh Q Ngo; National Charity League- San Dieguito Chapter;
- Post Sport Fencing Inc. Dba The Fencing Post;
- Rachel Reed; Ruth Robinson; San Diego Natural; History Museum;
- Sempra Energy Foundation (Matching Employee, Mary Kloberdanz Volunteer Hours);
- That Boy Good BBQ, Oceanside; The Old Spaghetti Factory, San Marcos;
- The Yellos Deli, Vista;
Our clients and pets are grateful to
- The Helen Wooward Animal Center for their Animeals Program