Annual, Free Premier Arts Education Program for High School Students Offers More than $100,000 in Scholarships Along with Valuable Workforce Readiness Skills
San Diego County CA—Southern California high school students interested in the performing arts can apply now to be a part of the 30th annual free Spotlight arts education and scholarship program presented by The Music Center. The annual program offers arts training, experience and workforce development skills taught by professional artists and arts administrators, and awards more than $100,000 in scholarships. All students who apply to Spotlight receive written feedback from a distinguished panel of judges and a certificate of achievement. In addition, they have an opportunity to receive valuable audition experience and knowledge in their performance disciplines through master classes and performance. Students also experience a supportive environment in which to develop important life skills, including self-esteem, preparation and perseverance. The deadline for submission is October 16, 2017.
How it works:
High school students of all talent levels are encouraged to apply for free.
- All students whether they apply to Spotlight or not are invited to attend The Spotlight Academy, a free day of performing arts workshops for students, parents and teachers, on September 17, 2017 at The Music Center. Students can RSVP for The Spotlight Academy at http://musiccenter.org/spotlightacademy
- Preliminary 1 (first round) auditions: Students submit an online video in one or more of the following categories: acting, ballet, classical instrumental, classical voice, jazz instrumental, non-classical dance and non-classical voice. Note: Semifinalists and Honorable Mentions from the previous year will bypass the Preliminary 1 first round and advance automatically to Preliminary 2 live auditions.
- Preliminary 2 (second round) auditions: Students who advance to this round will audition live before a panel of judges.
- Semifinal master classes/auditions: Fifteen Semifinalists in each category will participate in a master class to gain feedback before their semifinal audition. Two Grand Prize Finalists and an Honorable Mention in each category are announced after the Semifinal auditions.
- Grand Finale: Spotlight will conclude with a Grand Finale evening performance at Walt Disney Concert Hall on June 5, 2018.
Spotlight is part of The Music Center’s commitment to helping all students gain outstanding arts learning experiences in their schools and in the community. The program is designed to help students explore their professional goals and increase their confidence. Spotlight alumni are performing with the world’s best dance companies, top orchestras and leading jazz clubs; singing in the leading opera houses; and starring on Broadway. They are also major executives working behind-the-scenes in arts schools, institutions and businesses.
For more information, including details on how to apply in each category, visit http://musiccenter.org/spotlight