Largest EV Test Drive Event in San Diego, Featuring 20+ Vehicle Models, Entertainment, Food Trucks and Kids Activities
Event to take place at Qualcomm Stadium
San Diego CA— San Diego Gas & Electric (SDG&E), along with Cleantech San Diego and the Center for Sustainable Energy, will host Electric Vehicle Day on Saturday, September 9, during National Drive Electric Week.
This annual event comes at a time when a growing number of San Diegans and drivers nationwide are transitioning to electric drive. Today, the San Diego region is home to more than 25,500 electric vehicle (EV) drivers and more than 1,200 public charging stations – making the region one of the most popular places in America to own an EV. Gov. Jerry Brown has set a goal of having 1.5 million electric vehicles on the road in California by 2025 to support statewide efforts to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions and clean the air we breathe. Transportation is the single largest contributor of greenhouse gas emissions in the San Diego region.
The FREE day-long event will take place 10 a.m.-3 p.m. at Qualcomm Stadium, 9449 Friars Road, and will feature activities for the entire family.
Learn more at sdge.com/EVDay. EV Day highlights include:
- More than 20 vehicle models for every budget and lifestyle – think Chevy Bolt and Volt, Ford Focus Electric and Fusion Energi, Kia Soul, Honda Clarity, BMW i3, Volkswagen eGolf and more–will be onsite for test spins on two different tracks.
- Plenty of displays, demonstrations, and information booths staffed by experts who will share tips on buying, owning, and charging an EV. Event attendees will learn about SDG&E’s special EV rates for charging at home, state and federal EV incentives for EVs, and apps for finding public charging locations.
- EV Tailgate – Those who already own an EV are invited to display their car, tailgate and talk to attendees about their experience driving electric. The first 100 Tailgate registrants will receive a voucher to food trucks at the event. Sign up here.
- Family fun – Kids will enjoy driving mini-electric cars on a special course. Face painting will be available for all ages.
- Electric bicycle test rides
- Food trucks, DJ, and shaded tent area
The event also will include displays of heavy-duty electric equipment, such as forklifts, and information booths on home energy efficiency and solar programs, and SDG&E’s Power Your Drive charger installation program. To support the region’s transition to clean transportation, SDG&E is working to install 3,500 chargers at apartments, condos and businesses throughout the region, including at least 10 percent of which will be located in low-income communities.
SDG&E is an innovative San Diego-based energy company that provides safe, reliable, clean energy to better the lives of the people it serves in San Diego and southern Orange counties. More than 4,200 employees work to provide the cleanest, safest and most reliable energy in the West. With 43 percent of the power mix coming from renewable resources such as the solar and wind, SDG&E has far exceeded California’s goal of delivering 33 percent, has fueled the adoption of electric vehicles and energy efficiency through unique customer programs, and supports a number of non-profit partners. SDG&E is a subsidiary of Sempra Energy (NYSE: SRE), a Fortune 500 energy services holding company based in San Diego. For more information, visit SDGEnews.com or connect with SDG&E on Twitter (@SDGE), Instagram (@SDGE) and Facebook