San Diego CA—The San Diego Architectural Foundation (SDAF) is now selling tickets for its annual Orchids & Onions Awards Ceremony. Each year, SDAF recognizes the best (and worst) in architectural design, form and function at the awards ceremony. More than 100 nominations in various categories have been submitted and are currently featured on the Orchids & Onions website.
The 2017 Orchids & Onions Awards Ceremony, sponsored by NewSchool of Architecture + Design along with other SDAF supporters, will start at 5:30 p.m. Oct. 26 at the U.S. Grant Hotel. Attendees will enjoy cocktails and food provided by the U.S. Grant, and celebrate the newest additions to San Diego’s built environment.
Tickets are available now and expected to go fast. Ticket pricing:
- General Admission (Non-SDAF member): $120
- General Admission (SDAF members): $90
- Ceremony Only Admission (entry at 7:45pm): $20
SDAF has officially announced the jury for the 2017 Orchids & Onions awards program. Each year a jury of design professionals and artists, as well as a student from the ACE Mentorship Program, review the award submittals and select Orchids and Onions in five categories: Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Historic Preservation, Interior Design, and Miscellaneous (public art, lighting, graphics, etc.).
The 2017 Jury Panel:
- Jeana Kim Renger: Prinicpal Architect + Director of Business Development, Ferguson Pape Baldwin Architects
- Kristine Schnell: Creative Director, Playground Agency
- Laura DuCharme Conboy, AIA, LEED AP: Architect, Principal and Owner, DuCharme Architecture
- Leigh Kyle, RLA, ASLA: Principal, Spurlock
- Marvin J. Malecha, FAIA: President, NewSchool of Architecture & Design
- Randy Van Vleck: Active Transportation Manager, City Heights Community Development Corporation
- Douglas H. Austin, FAIA, LEED AP, MAIBC: Founder, Chairman and CEO, AVRP Skyport Studios
- Jair Cortez: Student, ACE Mentorship Program
About Orchids & Onions
Orchids & Onions is a fundraising program of the San Diego Architectural Foundation; an independent 501c3 non-profit organization dedicated to education and the promotion of outstanding architecture, planning and urban design throughout the San Diego region. The objective of Orchids & Onions is to raise awareness, and encourage practical discourse about our environment, thereby effecting positive change and more thoughtful design. Orchids & Onions affords all San Diegans an opportunity to nominate what they believe deserves praise or critique, comment on all nominations, and even present an award by voting for the People’s Choice Orchid & Onion as part of the program. The NewSchool of Architecture & Design along with other SDAF supporters sponsors the 2017 program. To learn more, please visit http://www.orchidsandonions.org/.