Holiday Celebrations from Thursday, November 16 through Sunday, January 7
Enjoy the holiday festivities at Liberty Station with an 88-foot Norfolk pine tree lighting, ice-skating, greetings with Santa, shopping from local markets and more
San Diego CA— Liberty Station, San Diego’s signature neighborhood, announces its 2017 Salute the Season holiday event line-up—inviting the community to enjoy festivities all season long. Salute the Season kicks off on Thursday, November 16 with the opening of the Rady Children’s Ice Rink at Liberty Station, an ice rink that is uniquely designed underground and the first of its kind in Southern California. Salute the Season will continue with its premier event: the Liberty Station Tree Lighting & Holiday Festivities on Wednesday, November 29. The evening will feature a tree lighting of Liberty Station’s iconic 88-foot Norfolk pine tree decked out in lights from top to bottom in addition to a Holiday Marketplace, mini train rides on the Liberty Express, live entertainment, photo ops with Santa, an outdoor viewing of How the Grinch Stole Christmas and more. Throughout the entire season there will be several holiday events with local vendors, surprises from the North Pole, spotlight entertainment and performances, and a Holiday Marketplace at Luce Court.
“Transforming into a holiday spectacle, Liberty Station invites the San Diegans and the community to partake in the joy of the season,” said Marco LiMandri, Executive Director of the Liberty Station Community Association. “Whether telling Santa your wish-list or skating it up at the ice rink, the neighborhood will be the perfect place to capture seasonal family photos and create lasting holiday memories with your loved ones.”
Salute the Season’s main event, the Liberty Station Tree Lighting & Holiday Festivities will take place on Wednesday, November 29, from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Gather your loved ones in Liberty Station’s North Promenade for live entertainment from 5:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. and then gaze upon the 88-foot Norfolk pine tree as it is lit up by a patient family of Rady Children’s Hospital at 6:15 p.m. Throughout the evening there will be entertainment, shopping and more throughout the neighborhood. Shopping will be set in Central Promenade, next to the ice rink, with local vendors selling holiday goodies, gifts and more. Happening only during the Liberty Station Tree Lighting & Holiday Festivities will be a mini train ride taking guests around Liberty Station’s Central Promenade where guests will be able to hop and off on Dewey Road between North and Central Promenade. After the lighting, grab a quick snack or bite from the surrounding restaurants or food vendors, spread a cozy picnic blanket out on the lawn, and enjoy an outdoor viewing of How the Grinch Stole Christmas, which will be projected onto a custom-made sail by a local craftsman. Also on this evening, Rady Children’s Ice Rink at Liberty Station will be open and inviting the public to join in.
See below for a full schedule of other activities happening throughout Salute the Season:
- Rady Children’s Ice Rink at Liberty Station Opening | Thursday, November 16 – Salute the Season will kick off with the grand opening of the Rady Children’s Ice Rink at Liberty Station. The ice rink will be open every day except Thanksgiving and Christmas from 10:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. until Sunday, January 7 and will close at 5:00 p.m. on Christmas Eve. Tickets are good for in-and-out access throughout the day they are purchsed for and include a pair of skates and an optional helmet. Opening day tickets will be discounted. All proceeds from the ice rink benefit the Rady Children’s Hospital’s Peckham Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders. Adult admission is $14 and children admission is $12. Limited season passes are available.
- Small Business Saturday | Saturday, November 25 – Shop small, shop local by supporting Liberty Station’s Holiday Gifts with a Creative Twist Do your holiday shopping at one of Liberty Station’s many boutiques and art galleries from comic books to handmade jewelry to trendy home goods or grab a bite at one of the many unique dining options throughout the day.
- Friday Night Liberty’s Holiday Extravaganza | Friday, December 1, 5:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. – Connect with working artists, enjoy dance, theatre and musical performances as well as engage with museums and galleries during this holiday-themed version of Liberty Station’s free monthly art open-house event.
- The Local Holiday Bazaar | Sunday, December 3, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. – Continue your holiday shopping at the Local Holiday Bazaar, a curated pop-up market offering an eclectic mix of local fashion, handmade and vintage gifts from 150 vendors, taking place at Corky McMillin Event Center. Adult admission is $5 and children are free.
- Hanukkah Celebration & Menorah Lighting | Tuesday, December 12 – Celebrate the beginning of Hanukkah with an early evening Menorah Lighting, music throughout the evening and much more. It’ll take place in Central Promenade between the ice rink and The Lot.
- Holiday Marketplace at Luce Court | Throughout the Season – Enjoy shopping from Liberty Station tenants and local vendors as you and and your family listen to live music performances and skate at the Rady Children’s Ice Rink.
- Free Day of Dance | Tuesday, December 26 – The Arts District’s Dance Place will offer a free day of classes for dance enthusiasts of all levels and abilities. Meet the instructors and take sample classes during this annual dance presented by Malashock Dance, San Diego Ballet, Jean Isaacs San Diego Dance Theater and NTC Foundation. Classes may include ballet, modern, tango, jazz and theatre classes. Pop-up showcases will take place throughout the day on the Community Stage between the ice rink and The Lot.
- Holiday Closing | Sunday, January 7 – Ring in the new year with one last round of holiday celebrations at Liberty Station! This is the last day skate at the Rady Children’s Ice Rink at Liberty Station.
For more information on this year’s Salute the Season or information about Liberty Station, visit www.libertystation.com. For updates about the neighborhood, connect on Facebook/LibertyStationSD, Instagram @libertystation, or Twitter @liberty_station.