Home / News / Fire Damages Oceanside Beachfront Home
file photo

Fire Damages Oceanside Beachfront Home

Oceanside CA— Several 9-1-1 calls were received just after midnight this morning, April 1, 2018, advising of a structure fire in a three story, two-unit vacation rental home located in the 1000 block of South Pacific Street in Oceanside.

The first arriving engine found light smoke coming from the building, located on the beach side of South Pacific Street. The crews pulled hoselines and began trying to determine where the fire was actually located inside the building. As the firefighters descended down several flights of stairs towards the beach they began encountering more intense smoke, as well as multiple people evacuating the structure.

Additional units were requested to the scene once crews made it to the beach and found heavy smoke throughout the bottom floor of the structure. Crews made access to the structure from the beach level and were able to locate the fire in clothes dryer in the bathroom adjacent to one of the downstairs bedrooms.

The fire crews were able to extinguish the fire within approximately 15 minutes of arrival and began checking the adjacent walls and ceiling to ensure the fire had not extended into any hidden areas. The fire was confined to the downstairs bedroom and declared fully under control within 30 minutes of arrival. Crews then spent another hour removing water and debris from the fire area before picking up all of their hoselines.

Two families from Utah had independently rented their sections of the building for a spring break vacation. A total of five adults and five children were in the downstairs two floors of the building where the fire originated and an additional two adults and four children were in the unit on the top floor. One adult female in her mid-60’s was treated at the scene and then transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation. She had been sleeping in the bedroom in the downstairs unit immediately adjacent to where the fire started.

There were no injuries to any of the other occupants or responding firefighters. The washer and dryer located where the fire originated were destroyed and the bathroom area suffered significant damage. There was smoke damage throughout the three story structure. Damage has been estimated at $15,000.

The property management company relocated the remaining family members to nearby vacant units so they could continue with their vacation plans.