Launch party and ride to celebrate month of better bicycling for all in the region
Countywide organization to host several events promoting two-wheeled traveling
San Diego County CA— The month of May calls for communities across the nation to celebrate the power of bicycling. This year, the San Diego Bike Coalition will roll into National Bike Month with a kickoff party and ride on May 3.
Starting at 6 p.m., Councilmembers David Alvarez and Chris Ward will lead bike aficionados on a leisurely, family-friendly ride to Barrio Logan and back, ending at the new Quartyard in East Village. For the rest of the evening, partygoers can sip on craft beverages while enjoying live music from local Latin-fusion band, Elrio.
The Bike Month party on May 3 kicks off the first of many events the Bike Coalition has in store, including:
- May 17 – Bike to Work Day: Thousands of commuters countywide will ditch the car and ride two wheels on Bike to Work Day.
- May 19 – Empire Bikes Back: At Empire Bikes Back, local organizations in Southeastern San Diego will host a Star Wars-themed bike education class for kids, emphasizing bike-handling drills and traffic safety.
- May 24 – Bikes on Tap: The Bike Coalition will bring residents together in a casual environment to discuss improving biking in Chula Vista.
- May 27 – Bike to Art: This event will bring families together for a short ride ending in the iconic Chicano Park showcasing art from the Barrio.
- June 21–23 – Regional Bike Summit: For the first time ever, the Bike Coalition will host a three-day summit to share ideas for better biking in San Diego with special attention to gender and diversity in the biking arena.
According to the Bike Coalition, National Bike Month allows people to celebrate the many efforts made throughout the county to make San Diego more bike friendly.
“In San Diego, we’re lucky to have perfect biking weather all year long,” says Bike Coalition Executive Director Andy Hanshaw. “We hope that May brings awareness to the many opportunities and benefits of bicycling in our region so that people treat every month like Bike Month.”
Two-wheeled travelers can learn about all the other Bike Month activities and sign up for Bike to Work Day at the Bike Month kickoff party. For more information on the San Diego Bike Coalition and making San Diego County a better place to ride bikes, please visit www.sdbikecoalition.org.