Del Mar CA— It’s time to raise a glass – results are in for the San Diego International Beer Competition at the San Diego County Fair.
Local winners include: Bagby Beer(Oceanside), Barrel Harbor Brewing Company(Vista), Belching Beaver(Oceanside), Belching Beaver Brewery Tavern & Grill(Vista), Breakwater Brewing Co.(Oceanside), Golden Coast Mead(Oceanside), Indian Joe Brewing(Vista),The Lost Abbey(San Marcos), Rouleur Brewing Company(Carlsbad), Pizza Port(San Clemente), Pizza Port-Bressi Ranch(Carlsbad), Prohibition Brewing Company(Vista), Rip Current Brewing(San Marcos) Toolbox Brewing Company(Vista), Wiens Brewing(San Clemente).
You can check out the winner’s list to get a taste of what you’ll find at the 2018 San Diego International Beer Festival, sponsored by Don Julio Tequila, June 15-17 during the San Diego County Fair at the Del Mar Fairgrounds.
The San Diego County Fair, presented by Albertsons|Vons, hosts one of the top beer competitions and festivals in the country. With nearly 1,500 entries from 260 breweries represented from around the world, offering 57 classes from porters and pale ales to chocolate and chili beers, suds aficionados will enjoy hard-to-find specialty craft brews alongside favorites from our local brewing scene.
Judging happened April 13-15 and 171 medals were awarded (gold, silver and bronze). The Best of Show award will be announced on June 16 during the San Diego International Beer Festival (SDIBF).
Celebrating its 12th year, SDIBF is a three-day festival offering five tasting sessions. Each session offers four hours of unlimited sampling from hundreds of beers, including many from San Diego’s renowned craft brewing community. Be sure to taste the 2018 “Tangerine A-Fair” by Mike Hess Brewing – it’s the Fair’s signature brew and will also be available for purchase in Albertsons|Vons stores beginning May 15.
This year’s highlights include:
- “The Sweet Spot,” featuring 20+ sweet and sour beers in honor of this year’s Fair theme, “How Sweet It Is.”
- The VIP Lounge has teamed up with Ballast Point and Bivouac Ciderworks to create two food pairing stations.
- The Gold Medal Beer Pairing Dinner from 6-8:30 p.m. June 14 ($75) will give beer lovers a taste of the festival a day before opening and features a one-hour reception and four-course plated dinner perfectly paired with gold medal award-winning beers.
- The Sunday, June 17 tasting session will feature homebrew education sessions on stage, and the festival will be tapping the 2017 Best of Show Homebrew Competition winning beer by Abnormal Beer Co.
San Diego International Beer Festival
- When: June 15-17 during the San Diego County Fair – there are five tasting sessions from noon-4 p.m. and 5-9 p.m. June 15; 11 a.m.-3 p.m. and 4-8 p.m. June 16 and noon-4 p.m. June 17
- Where: Del Mar Fairgrounds, 2260 Jimmy Durante Blvd., Del Mar, Calif.
- Cost: $55 general admission (includes souvenir tasting glass, unlimited 1-ounce samples of beers and Fair admission); $110 VIP Lounge (includes GA offerings plus 30 min. early admission to VIP lounge featuring unlimited 6-ounce samples and gourmet food stations for the first two hours of each session).
- Tickets and Info: sandiegobeerfestival.com