Home / News / Couple Forced from Home Damaged by Fire in Oceanside

Couple Forced from Home Damaged by Fire in Oceanside

Oceanside CA— An Oceanside homeowner called 9-1-1 Wednesday afternoon, July 25, 2018, to report their house was on fire, but was unable to complete the call due to the amount of heat and smoke building up in their residence. Dispatchers were able to hear the yelling that the house was on fire and used the automatic location identification services associated with 9-1-1 to determine the address which was in the 4600 block of Briar Ridge Rd.

While they were unable to obtain as much information as is normally provided, a full structure fire response was dispatched. The first arriving unit found heavy smoke coming from the front door and attic vents of the single story, single family residence. Backed up by other units from Oceanside and Vista, firefighters made an aggressive interior attack on a well involved rear bedroom.

After knocking down the fire in the bedroom, crews started opening up the attic, where they found additional heavy fire in areas being used for storage. 13 minutes after arrival, the fire crews were able to bring the fire under control. However, fire units were committed for a total of nearly 3 hours checking for hot spots, salvaging belongings and securing the structure.

A husband and wife were present in the residence when the fire started. They heard what sounded like an explosion in the rear bedroom and the house started filling with smoke. When the conditions got too extreme, they hung up the phone and fled the structure.

An investigator with the Oceanside Fire Department responded to the scene in order to determine the cause and origin of the fire. As of now, the fire appears to be accidental in nature, but is still under investigation.

The husband was treated at the scene for minor burns. The wife was uninjured.

There were no injuries to any of the 19 fire personnel that responded to the incident, despite the warm and humid conditions.

The City’s building department determined the house was uninhabitable due to the amount of damage and the couple went to stay with friends nearby.

Damage has been estimated at $200,000 with $150,000 associated with the structure and $50,000 with the contents.