Home / News / Oceanside Commercial Building Damaged in Early Morning Fire
(file photo)

Oceanside Commercial Building Damaged in Early Morning Fire

Oceanside CA— Just after 1:30am this morning, October 7, 2018, several reports were received of a fire in a large building at 303 Via Del Monte, in Oceanside. Oceanside PD expressed concern about flammable liquids inside the structure that was producing significant smoke at the front of the building and pouring out a roll up door. The first engine company and rescue ambulance (E217, RA217) arrived approximately 5 minutes from the alarm and reported on a working fire in the commercial structure.

Initial arriving crews (E217, RA217, E211) quickly advanced hose-lines to the front door and were challenged with no immediate water supply needed to support fire operations on this size building with a confirmed working fire. As additional units arrived, strategically E212 located a working fire hydrant and laid a supply line that extended 600 feet to E217 working on fire control.

Once inside the building, crews were faced with heavy smoke conditions from the fire which extended throughout office space and a large commercial storage area for a local produce packing and distribution operation. Mutual aid resources were requesting to assist the challenging fire fight and support incident command, operations and relief crews necessary to battle the size of the fire. Two truck companies placed ladders to access the roof to cut heat holes and open up large steel roll up doors providing ventilation inside for crews completing a rescue search and control the fire. The contents burning inside the produce packing house involved heavy plastics, cardboard and machinery, but no large contents of flammable liquids were found.

An aggressive attack on the fire kept it from spreading to surrounding exposures or adjacent buildings. The fire was brought under control in approximately 26 minutes after the first units arrived at the scene. No victims were found inside the building and the investigation is being completed by the Oceanside Fire Department to find out what happened. Total damage has yet to be determined due to the unforeseen damage to office space and various contents in the storage area.

Mutual aid was provided by the Carlsbad and Vista Fire Departments.