Riders Spend Additional $75M in San Diego Economy as Lyft Continues to Make Cities More Livable
2019 Economic Impact Report Shows Lyft is Connecting San Diego Communities, Creating a Seamless City Living Experience
San Diego CA— Lyft announced its annual Economic Impact Report in San Diego County, on Thursday. The report measured the benefits San Diegans and their communities have seen when it’s easy to get a reliable, affordable ride around their city. In 2018 alone, riders spent an additional $75 million in San Diego due to the availability of Lyft.
Lyft began as an unconventional way to improve transportation and connect communities by helping people share the ride. Since then, Lyft has become a critical part of and partner with area transportation. The report indicates that companies like Lyft are increasingly helping create a seamless city living experience by making it easier for people to get around and experience San Diego.
Some of the benefits cities have seen from Lyft can be attributed to partnerships with the San Diego Brewers Guild/San Diego Beer Week, Lyft Lounge at Comic-Con and Camp Pendleton’s “Base Mode,” which have continued to help the San Diego community by ensuring local passengers ride smart and effectively. Additional successful campaigns include Lyft’s Get Out the Vote program, a partnership with Susan G. Komen San Diego and the recent scooter launch in San Diego.
“Every day, people are using Lyft in San Diego as a way to connect with their community, support local businesses and commute more efficiently. This is having a dramatic and real impact on our city by enabling riders to move around seamlessly and drivers to earn on their own time,” said Lyft San Diego Market Manager Hao Meng. “As Lyft works to better knit together North American cities, including through bikes and scooters, we hope to continue to find new ways to invest in the local San Diego economy.”
San Diego 2019 Economic Impact Report highlights:
- Using Lyft, riders saved 3 million hours compared to other transportation modes – which translates to time savings valued at $149 million.
- 49 percent of riders explore more areas of their city as a result of using Lyft.
- 94 percent of drivers say a flexible schedule is very or extremely important.
- 35 percent of riders spend more at local businesses as a result of using Lyft.
- 74 percent are less likely to drive substance impaired due to the availability of Lyft.
- 90 percent of Lyft drivers drive fewer than 20 hours per week.
- 52 percent of vehicle owners use their cars less because of Lyft.
- 23 percent of healthcare riders state that without Lyft they would be less likely to make it to their appointments regularly.
The full survey results for San Diego can be found here.
Lyft was founded in 2012 by Logan Green and John Zimmer to improve people’s lives with the world’s best transportation, and is available to 95 percent of the United States population as well as select cities in Canada. Lyft is committed to effecting positive change for our cities by offsetting carbon emissions from all rides, and by promoting transportation equity through shared rides, bikeshare systems, electric scooters and public transit partnerships. For more information on Lyft in San Diego, visit www.lyft.com/cities/san-diego-ca.