Escondido CA— On Wednesday, March 20, from approximately 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., North County Transit District (NCTD) and Pacific Sun Railroad will conduct an emergency exercise at an agency rail yard in Escondido. This training and the location for this exercise will be closed to the public. Those in the nearby area should not be alarmed to see emergency vehicles present.
The exercise scenario will be a simulated freight rail incident along the Escondido rail corridor that includes an automobile collision and a simulated hazardous material leak. It will also test the San Diego County Office of Emergency Services online communications system, WebEOC.
Emergency agencies across the county will join NCTD for this valuable learning experience. Participating and invited agencies include:
- California Public Utilities Commission
- Camp Pendleton Fire Department
- City of Escondido Fire and Police Departments
- City of San Diego Fire Department – Hazardous Materials Team
- County of San Diego Environmental Health/Hazardous Materials Division
- Federal Railroad Administration
- Pacific Sun Railroad (A WATCO Co.)
- Rancho Santa Fe Fire District
- San Diego County Office of Emergency Services
- San Diego Law Enforcement Coordination Center
- San Diego Sheriff’s Office
- San Marcos Fire Department
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security/Transportation Security Administration
This exercise is part of NCTD’s ongoing commitment to safety, and is required by Federal regulations. It is one in a series of diverse full-scale emergency exercises that NCTD has held and will continue to conduct.