Carlsbad CA— The City of Carlsbad’s Cultural Arts Office is now accepting submissions for its inaugural Turn It Up Band Competition, designed to showcase and help develop emerging musical talent in San Diego County. Online video submissions will be accepted through April 30. Three finalists will perform at Front Row Fridays on June 14. The winner will perform a pre-show on July 5 at TGIF Concerts in the Parks. Participation is free.
“We are launching the Turn It Up Band Competition because we want to help local talent take their craft to the next level,” said Cultural Arts Manager Richard Schultz. “Performing at events like Front Row Fridays and TGIF – which draws over 3,000 music lovers – gives the bands a chance to build a following and attendees a chance to experience what could be the next big name in music.”
All interested parties are encouraged to attend an information session:
April 15, 6 p.m.
- Carlsbad City Library Gowland Meeting Room
- 1775 Dove Lane
April 18, 6 p.m.
- Museum of Making Music
- 5790 Armada Drive
At a Glance
- The competition is open to San Diego County bands with members ages 18 to 25.
- Eligible bands can submit videos through April 30.
- Additional training and development opportunities will be available to the community, including classes in the city’s Exploration HUB featuring photo, audio and video editing, merchandise creation and more.
- An internal selection committee will select three finalists to perform in front of a panel of judges at the city’s Front Row Fridays series on June 14 at Ruby G. Schulman Auditorium, located at 1775 Dove Way.
- The winning band will perform a pre-show concert on July 5 at TGIF Concerts in the Parks at Stagecoach Community Park, located at 3420 Camino De Los Coches.
- Additional prizes for the winner include passes to the GenNext Music Program at the 2020 NAMM Show, Recording Arts workshops at MiraCosta Community College and more.