Largest North County Earth Day Event to Highlight Sustainable Food Systems, Reducing Plastic Pollution and More
Oceanside CA— Celebrating 10 years of promoting environmental sustainability, the city of Oceanside’s annual “Earth Festival” returns April 27, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., in downtown Oceanside at Pier View Way and Tremont Street. It is the largest Earth Day festival in North County and a staple Oceanside event. This year’s themes will focus on a sustainable food system, zero waste, water conservation, watershed protection and climate action.
The Earth Festival offers participants the opportunity to explore more than 100 booths and vendors to learn ways to increase sustainability efforts, peruse the vintage market to find upcycled items from environmentally conscious businesses, discover and taste Oceanside’s local food and enjoy live local bands with music from our radio partner Jesse Lozano with Star 94.1 FM. Kids can do arts and crafts, explore a mini recycling truck, and learn how to save water, recycle and become a steward of the great outdoors at the Kids-Eco Zone.
Event highlights include:
- The Green Oceanside booth will feature the Wyland Foundation’s Mayor’s Challenge for Water Conservation, watershed protection, how to incorporate other eco-friendly options into healthy daily habits and an activity on reducing single-use plastics. Visit mywaterpledge.com to take the pledge for Oceanside.
- Zero waste cooking demonstrations from Oside Kitchen Collaborative – a partner to the City’s Green Oceanside Kitchen – with dishes prepared using every part of the produce to create delicious and nutritious meals.
- Vermicomposting presentations from The Ecology Center – a nonprofit dedicated to modeling creative solutions for thriving on planet earth – will teach participants how to compost with worms.
- ProduceGood – a local nonprofit that rescues viable produce from farmers and residents and distributes it to feeding agencies – will discuss its food recovery efforts and how the community can help.
- Solana Center for Environmental Innovation – a local nonprofit that focuses on Zero Waste, composting and water conservation – will be collecting all of the food waste generated from the event and composting it.
- Attendees are encouraged to decrease their carbon footprint by riding bikes to the event and parking at the free bike valet.
“This year’s ‘Earth Festival’ marks an important milestone for Oceanside’s collective sustainability efforts over the past 10 years,” said Colleen Foster, environmental officer, solid waste and recycling, city of Oceanside. “Through collaboration and partnerships with the community, we’ve made a significant impact, protecting and preserving our natural resources, and we’re excited to build on that momentum with this annual event.”
Join the city of Oceanside at this free, family-friendly event. For more information or to volunteer, visit www.greenoceanside.org.