Carlsbad CA— The City of Carlsbad Police Department is joining forces with the California Office of Traffic Safety to encourage everyone attending holiday parties and gatherings where alcohol may be served to use a designated sober driver.
This holiday season, from Dec. 17 to New Year’s, the Police Department will participate in a special holiday traffic safety campaign designed to look for drivers suspected of being under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs.
OTS reminds the community of Carlsbad that impaired driving is not just from alcohol. Prescription medications, over-the-counter drugs and marijuana can also impair, especially in combination with alcohol and other drugs.
So, be a responsible holiday party host
- Plan ahead and ask guests to designate a sober driver.
- Serve fun, alcohol-free drinks for the designated drivers.
- Monitor your party and have a plan for getting people home.
- If someone has been drinking and tries to leave, intervein with safe options that prevent them from driving like a designated driver or rideshare service.
- Recall, Carlsbad has a Social Host Ordinance that prohibits giving access to or serving alcohol to minors at parities.
Funding for this program is provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.