National Initiative: Sport Psychologists/Pro Athletes Unite during Covid Crisis to Offer Support to Athletes and Coaches
San Diego CA— Free Webinars will take place on June 4,5,6, 2020 hosted by the San Diego University for Integrative Studies (SDUIS).
Millions of athletes have been impacted by the Coronavirus due to the cancellation of the Summer Olympic Games, and all professional and amateur sports activities in the US since March 2020.
Nearly eight million students currently participate in high school athletics in the United States, more than 480,000 compete as NCAA athletes, about 5000 professional athletes in the four largest North American sports leagues (NBA, MLB, NHL, and NFL) and over 500 Olympic athletes (the 2016 U.S. Olympic Team was comprised of 558 athletes). The psychological and physical impact the abrupt interruption of their regular practices and games had on athletes could be devastating. Anxiety and depression are some of the concerns related to this segment of the population.
Survey shows student-athletes grappling with mental health issues
More than 37,000 respond on well-being status during the pandemic
Since college sports were halted by the COVID-19 pandemic in March, most respondents in an NCAA student-athlete well-being survey reported experiencing high rates of mental distress…..Still, the unprecedented times have caused stress and anxiety. Over a third of respondents reported experiencing sleep difficulties, while more than a quarter reported feeling sadness and a sense of loss, and 1 in 10 reported feeling so depressed it has been difficult to function “constantly” or “most every day.” http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/survey-shows-student-athletes-grappling-mental-health-issues>>
In order to provide support and assist those athletes to set new goals , cope with stress and maintain their focus a group of sport psychologists, former professional and Olympic athletes, crisis intervention professionals and counselors have joined forces to provide free webinars and live group discussions to athletes.
Because the Coronavirus pandemic also had a great impact on first responders and members of the military working intensively to help in different capacities, we are offering free support and educational tools to them as well.
To register please go to www.sduis.edu and click on the “Free Sport Psychology Webinars, REGISTER HERE”.
This event is free and open to the public, including student athletes, parents, coaches and any individuals/ organizations/federations that could benefit from the webinars.
Some of the top sport psychologists in the United States including one of the founders of the field of Sport Psychology , professional and Olympic athletes, crisis intervention counselors and psychologists will provide support and guidance to athletes impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Dr. Robert Nideffer, Sport Psychologist and one of the founders of the field of Sport Psychology
- Dr. Nick Molinaro, Licensed Psychologist, Counseling, Human Performance and Sport Psychology, golf psychology expert
- Dr. Jim Bauman, Licensed Psychologist, Sport & Human Performance Psychology, former Senior Sport Psychologist with the US Olympic Committee (USOC) at the US Olympic Training Center in San Diego, CA
- Dr Sylvain Guimond, Biomechanics and Sport Psychology, Consultant for the NHL and NBA
- Dr Mike Gervais, Sport Psychologist, NBA,NFL and Olympic Athletes
- Dr. Herb Martin, Sport Psychologist, NFL, President of the Peak Performance Consulting Group
- Dr. Cristina Versari, Sport Psychology Consultant, Former NBA Education Program Administrator, Director SDUIS Sport Psychology Program
- Dr. Lisa Bulgatz, Former NBA Education Program Coordinator, SDUIS Dean of Academic Affairs
- Colby Huffman, Certified Mental Performance Consultant Golf Channel Academy Lead Coach, Sport Psychology and Golf Best-Selling Author
- Jadel Gregorio, Olympic Athlete, President of the Nonprofit Organization JGF Active Forever
- Mark Glicini, Premier Lacrosse League and National Lacrosse League
- Don Peters, M.S., Founder, The Next Level:Performance Under Pressure
- Lamond Murray, Former NBA Player and Coach
- Rosalyn Fairbank-Nideffer , Former Professional Tennis Player and Coach Dr Katarina Thomas
- Christopher Washington, Former NFL Player, Counselor
- Jerry Sherk, Former NFL Player, President ofMentor Management Systems
- Ed White, Former NFL Player and Coach
- Michael Bouchahine, M.A., Former Professional Soccer Player
- Dr. Katarina Thomas, Civilian Commander Tustin Police Department