Spooky Spokes Week events to include bike trivia, costume contest and prizes
Biking advocates to talk about bike safety, climate change solutions during webinar scheduled for Oct. 29
San Diego CA— The San Diego County Bike Coalition is riding in style with the witches and ghouls this Halloween season to host Spooky Spokes Week. From Oct. 25 to Nov. 1, San Diego bike riders will get the opportunity to win prizes by riding and participating in events like the Spooky Spokes Trivia night and the costume contest.
This week-long Halloween-themed event encourages cyclists to ride all week long and to learn about bike safety, biking as a solution to climate change and bike-friendly routes in the community during multiple special events.
San Diego County has seen a 42% increase in bike trips during the pandemic, according to the San Diego Association of Governments (SANDAG) and reported by KPBS. With more riders on the road and with daylight hours shortening, the Bike Coalition recognizes the importance of bike safety education in the community. The Bike Coalition acknowledges that even though riders still need to take safety precautions, including physical distancing, everyone can still get out and ride in the community. Biking challenges like Spooky Spokes Week help the community stay safe and connected.
SPOOKY SPOKES WEEK EVENTS CALENDAR
- Spooky Spokes Week: October 25 – 31
- All week: Spooky Spokes Week costume contest and riding challenge
- Thursday, October 29
- 9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.: Halloween Spooktacular at Pacific Beach/Taylor Library
- 4 – 6 p.m.: Bike Light Giveaway at San Diego Central Library
- 6:30 p.m.: Biking as a Solution to the Climate Crisis webinar
- Friday, October 30
- Saturday, October 31
- All day: Halloween Ride Challenge for Youth (13-17 years old)
- Sunday, November 1
- Spooky Spokes Week costume contest winner announced
The Bike Coalition has partnered with Love to Ride San Diego, where participants can register and log rides to be eligible for bonus prizes. Those who enter the costume contest, play Spooky Spokes Trivia or participate in the Halloween Ride Challenge for Youth will also have a chance to win prizes.
In order to make Spooky Spokes Week events a reality, the Bike Coalition has partnered with multiple local organizations, including:
- New Belgium Southern California
- California Office of Traffic Safety
- Climate Action Campaign
- LightMeUp Safety Lights
- Love to Ride
- Sierra Club San Diego Chapter
- Suja Juice
- The City of San Diego Public Library
- Organizations: San Diego County Bike Coalition
- Dates: Sunday, Oct. 25 – Sunday, Nov. 1, 2020
- Love to Ride: Register here to be eligible for bonus prizes
- Link for the events