Oceanside CA—There has been a startling increase in catalytic converter thefts throughout San Diego county. In Oceanside, thefts often occur in neighborhoods near main thoroughfares, freeways, or at commercial establishments.
What is a Catalytic Converter?
Catalytic converters are a critical exhaust component of vehicles located
How and Why are Catalytic Converters stolen?
Suspects often remove catalytic converters with saws and snipping tools. The entire process can take just minutes. Catalytic Converters are sold for the precious metals they contain after being stolen.
Most frequently targeted vehicles
Vehicles in commercial establishments that are not in view of surveillance systems and Toyota Prius’s are the most frequently targeted vehicles.
How to prevent the theft of your catalytic converter
- Park in a garage or well lit area if a garage is not available.
- Park near building entrances or in high traffic areas.
- Have your catalytic converter welded to your car.
- Calibrate your vehicle security system to detect vibration.
- Purchase cameras that clearly capture where you park.
- Purchase a security device for your catalytic converter.
- “Cat Strap” and “Cat Clamp” devices both cost less than $200.