San Diego County CA— The sixth annual Zero Waste Fair hosted by I Love A Clean San Diego County and the city of Encinitas will help create a roadmap for people interested in living a low-waste lifestyle. Open to anyone anywhere, free online registration is open now at CleanSD.org for the virtual event. Registration is required to attend the day’s live webinar. The fair presents a unique series of informative and fun presentations, demonstrations, and Q&A sessions. Guest experts will highlight low-waste living resources, composting tips, recycling help, current environmental justice topics and more.
“The term zero waste can seem like an impossible mark to achieve, but it is an aspirational goal that will lead us to effectively protect our planet, eliminate harmful consumer products like single-use plastics and conserve natural resources,” said Emily Nelson, I Love A Clean San Diego’s Education Manager. “We don’t claim to be perfect at this, but every little bit helps. Everybody has the power to do something.”
The event on Saturday, June 12, 2021 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. wil be broadcast through live webinar.
Free registration is available at CleanSD.org. Donations encouraged.
- Each Californian produces an average of six pounds of trash every day.
- If all the waste generated in San Diego County was deposited in SDCCU Stadium in Mission Valley, it would take less than three weeks to fill up and it would fill 18 more times in one year.
- 80% of ocean pollution begins through inland litter – primarily single-use plastics.
- By 2050 it is estimated there will be more plastic pollution by weight than fish in the world’s oceans.
Guest experts will highlight low-waste living resources on topics, including
- Living zero waste with the Zero Waste Family
- Sustainable Fashion Q&A with life and style blogger Megan McSherry from ACTEEVISM
- Environmental Initiatives at the city of Encinitas
- Composting at home
- Recycling right
- Environmental justice from the San Diego Urban Sustainability Coalition
- Recycling through anaerobic digestion with EDCO
- Solutions to Food Waste with San Diego Food Systems Alliance
About I Love A Clean San Diego
Founded in 1954, I Love A Clean San Diego is an environmental nonprofit supporting residents and businesses of San Diego County through youth and adult education, and local action through impactful volunteer events and workshops. As San Diego’s most influential advocate for sustainability, I Love A Clean San Diego’s programs are an environmental catalyst, awakening passion and inspiring action to empower everyone to be leaders in conservation and waste-free living. Our community is passion in action to maintain and improve the health of the home we love. For more information, to volunteer or donate, visit CleanSD.org or call (619) 291-0103. Connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn