San Diego CA— Summer may be rounding out, but the fun in the sun is far from over. ARTS DISTRICT Liberty Station is the perfect place to get your daily dose of Vitamin D all while enjoying some of the best local talent. From the highly-anticipated return of events by ArtWalk San Diego and La Jolla Playhouse to brand-new exhibits and summer camps, San Diego’s creative arts community is helping you fill up the rest of your summer calendar.
ARTWALK @ LIBERTY STATION
ArtWalk @ Liberty Station returns to Ingram Plaza August 7-8 at ARTS DISTRICT Liberty Station. This year marks 16 years of the fine arts show which brings visual arts to the historic San Diego community all weekend long. Attendees can peruse through the garden browsing artwork and enjoying food, wine and beer, and live entertainment at the two-day, free event. ARTS DISTRICT Collaborative Program recipients San Diego Craft Collective and Hakkai Aquascape Design Gallery will be hosting craft-based demonstrations in aquascaping, woodworking and other crafts throughout the weekend.
LA JOLLA PLAYHOUSE POP-UP WOW
La Jolla Playhouse returns to the North Promenade in ARTS DISTRICT Liberty Station for this special Pop-Up WOW event August 14-15. The event will feature four short, Playhouse-commissioned projects by WOW artists including “When the Bubble Bursts” by Blindspot Collective, “Get on Board” by J the San Diego Black Artist Collective, “Can We Now?” by Jesca Prudencio, and “Optika Piñata” by Optika Moderna in partnership with The News Children’s Museum. All productions for the Pop-Up WOW event will be free and have multiple performance times throughout the weekend. For more information, click here.
ARTS DISTRICT CREATIVE CONVERSATIONS
Tune in for an intimate discussion with Mingei International Museum. NTC Foundation and ARTS DISTRICT Liberty Station welcome Patricia Cué, Mingei International Museum’s Creative Director, on August 19 from 12pm-1pm via Zoom. Cué will be joined by Elizabeth Martinez, Mingei’s graphic designer whose work ranges from creating exhibition identities, vectoring icons, designing layouts for education programs to designing Mingei’s quarterly member journal, Communiqué. The conversation will touch on Mingei’s Residency program and collaborations with NTC Foundation during its time at Liberty Station with a focus on the importance of partnerships and successful collaborations with other artists and art organizations. Details about the much-anticipated reopening of the Museum in Balboa Park will also be shared in this lively discussion moderated by Andrew Waltz, NTC Foundation Director of Programs. Attendance is free. To register, click here.
The fun continues with a variety of summer camps available all month long for kids of all ages and interests. More information on ARTS DISTRICT Liberty Station’s summer camps can be found here and this month’s highlights include:
- Bilingual Kids is offering a full immersion Spanish and Mandarin summer camps designed to optimize foreign language acquisition. In-person and online camps are available now through August 20 and feature weekly themes and activities in music, games, arts & crafts, science and more.
- If I Was a Bird Yoga is offering yoga summer camp for ages 4-7 and paddle board yoga adventure camps for ages 8 and older. In studio and outdoor weekly camps take place through August 27, with themes including Hawaii, ocean and the jungles of India.
- Kid Ventures Preschool Academy is offering preschool-aged kids an amazing experience that engages all the senses with opportunities to develop socially, emotionally and academically through exploration and creative play. The program is taking place now through August 27 with 2, 3 and 5 day per week options are available.
- Malashock Dance is offering virtual and in-persons summer classes and camps for ages 10-17 taking place now through August 27. Classes and camps are available in various skill levels and styles including modern, jazz, ballet, and hip hop.
- San Diego Craft Collective is offering a variety of in-person workshops all month long perfect for crafters of all ages. Enjoy workshops such as glass windchime making, woodworking for women, fused glass, punch needle rug hooking, a four-day fashion design camp for the aspiring designer in your life. more!
- The Hot Spot Pottery, Painting, Candle Making & More is offering daily camps for children ages 6 and older in a variety of mediums including pottering painting, candle making, mosaics, and more! In addition to the projects, children will enjoy games outside and be able to explore ARTS DISTRICT Liberty Station.
- Monart School of Art is offering a virtual and in-person art camp for kids ages 5-7 and 8-14 now through August 20 in everything from Mixed Media to Fantasy & Fiction. Each week-long camp has its own theme, with this month’s themes including Oceans of Fun, Cartoons and Fantasy & Fiction.
SAN DIEGO WATERCOLOR SOCIETY’S AUGUST EXHIBIT
San Diego Watercolor Society, is beginning the month with a brand-new exhibit titled Lazy Days August 6-September 2, available exclusively in person for their members. In addition, their July exhibit titled Complement Conversations will continue through August 29, juried by award-winning artist Dean Mitchell and featuring several original ready-to-hang paintings for sale showcasing some of the best watermedia as created by SDWS members. The gallery is also offering a variety of in-person workshops throughout the month for all skill levels.