Carlsbad CA— The city’s Independent Redistricting Commission will hold its first public hearing next Thursday, Sept. 23, at 6 p.m. The focus of this first hearing is to get resident input on communities that should stay together for the purpose of electing a City Council member, starting with next November’s election.
At the hearing, residents can provide input to the city’s Independent Redistricting Commission, which will select the final district map by April 2022. Here are some questions residents can help answer:
- What defines your community?
- What are the boundaries of your community?
- Why would this community benefit from being included within a single district for purposes of its effective and fair representation?
Public hearing (virtual)
Thursday, Sept 23, 6 p.m.
There are three ways to provide comments:
- With a computer or mobile device, join with this link, then raise your hand when it’s time for public comment.
- By phone: Call: 213_338 – 8477 and enter Meeting ID: 934 5141 2042. Press # for Participant ID. Press *9 when the Clerk calls for speakers for the item you wish to comment on. The Clerk will then call on the last four numbers of your telephone number. Press *6 to unmute yourself to speak.
- If you wish to provide written comments as part of the record, e-mail your comments to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the agenda item number in your e-mail subject line.
The City Council decided to appoint an independent commission to choose a new district map instead of choosing it themselves. The commission has regular meetings that are open to the public. You can see the schedule here.
Residents can also share their thoughts about communities of interest and the city’s current district boundaries in an online survey. The results of the survey will be shared with the commission throughout the redistricting process and will be considered as draft maps are developed and reviewed.
Get updates by text
For text message updates about redistricting, residents can text the word “districts” to 797979.